Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] cannot boot to CD on my Mac

Beans

Exclamation [SOLVED] cannot boot to CD on my Mac

As the title suggests, I cannot get my Mac booted to the ubuntu cd.
    I have tried with 6.10, 7.04, and 7.10. None of them will boot.
    I have a Quicksilver, G4 dual 1gig unit with 1 gig of ram. I can get the cd to list when I hold the option key down during boot, but when I choose it, it acts like it will boot, but return to the drive choice menu, but in a lower resolution. Does this over and over until I choose the OSX drive, then the computer has to be booted into safe mode once, in order to be able to boot back up normally. This is very frustrating. I used toast titanium to burn all 3 cd's from the ISO files. All disks were verified 100%.
    if you think you have a solution for me, send me an email, or just leave a post.
    Thanks,
    Den

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: cannot boot to CD on my Mac

Try to burn the disk a slow as you possibly can.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by spkrck View Post
    As the title suggests, I cannot get my Mac booted to the ubuntu cd.
    I have tried with 6.10, 7.04, and 7.10. None of them will boot.
    I have a Quicksilver, G4 dual 1gig unit with 1 gig of ram. I can get the cd to list when I hold the option key down during boot, but when I choose it, it acts like it will boot, but return to the drive choice menu, but in a lower resolution. Does this over and over until I choose the OSX drive, then the computer has to be booted into safe mode once, in order to be able to boot back up normally. This is very frustrating. I used toast titanium to burn all 3 cd's from the ISO files. All disks were verified 100%.
    if you think you have a solution for me, send me an email, or just leave a post.
    Thanks,
    Den
    It might sound silly but did you verify that you downloaded the proper ISO file for a PowerPC? and not the X86 architecture?
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads
    Slowspeed

Beans

Yes, I know it does sound silly, but that was a good suggestion. Yes, all three ISO's are for power PC. I am going to try to burn the disk as slow as I can, and see if that helps. What the heck eh? I will post if that works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Have you got any extra hardware (USB-Card, Grafik - Card…)?
    Remove it before start your Mac and reset the PRAM (P+R+Opt+Cmd)
    PowerMac G5 Debian Squeeze - MacOSX Leopard / Lenovo 3000 N200 Debian Wheezy
    PowerPCFAQ, PowerPCKnownIssues, Booting the Installer on PowerPC, Yaboot - How to configure the PPC Bootloader

Beans

ok, I downloaded this- ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-powerpc.iso
    I wanted to be SURE I had the right version- PPC. I burned the disk at 3x, and it still does not boot. I had replaced teh superdrive with a nice sony dual layer burner, and had thought that might be the problem, but I can boot from any OSX disk, or OS9 disk. That leave that out. I have a SCSI card, and a USB 2.0 card that I had added to my computer. I will take them out and try again later this afternoon. Thanks to all that have posted, trying to help me. I am a network admin (out of work at the moment) and just want to get into something that will help keep my tech skills sharp. I am only a Mac user, and not a mac tech, so it gets even more fun at this point.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

ok, I downloaded this- ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-powerpc.iso
    I wanted to be SURE I had the right version- PPC. I burned the disk at 3x, and it still does not boot. I had replaced teh superdrive with a nice sony dual layer burner, and had thought that might be the problem, but I can boot from any OSX disk, or OS9 disk. That leave that out. I have a SCSI card, and a USB 2.0 card that I had added to my computer. I will take them out and try again later this afternoon. Thanks to all that have posted, trying to help me. I am a network admin (out of work at the moment) and just want to get into something that will help keep my tech skills sharp. I am only a Mac user, and not a mac tech, so it gets even more fun at this point.
    I configured g3 Imac a while back and I remember that there was a problem with the install routine which required some additional commands. I don't know if this was just limited to g3's and Feisty or all powerPC's. I do remember some outstanding people helped out on the forum and got me going. You could try another flavor of linux like Fedora or Suse as you are aware PowerPC's are only supported by the community now not Ubuntu.
    Good luck.

Beans

I have a G4 eMac that I use as a MythTV frontend, and I was unable to make any flavor of Ubuntu work on the machine (I tried 6.10, 7.04, and 7.10; 8.04 wasn't available at the time). I tried various other distro's, including yellow dog and Fedora, until I found one that worked well, which oddly enough was Debian Etch (which of course, is what Ubuntu is based on). I can't speak to just how well everything is supported, but I have network, sound, and video support. I'm not sure if the CD-burner works, but I know it works as a reader. I'm not sure if I have any hardware video acceleration of any kind working, but I can watch any SD content that I've tried on the 800mhz G4, with 256mb of ram. It runs video better using VLC and MythTV on Debian than the same machine did running OS X 10.4.

So I guess the moral of the story is that if you can't make Ubuntu work, keep shopping. And I recommend Debian as a good distro to try next, especially if you like Ubuntu.

Beans

hey, it's me, I'm back.
    No seriously, I downloaded Debian Etch, burned the disk, and again, nothing. I downloaded the x386 version of Ubuntu for my laptop, burned it from the image with my Mac and the laptop booted into it just fine. I can get an OSX disk to boot on my Mac, just can't seem to get any Linux disks to cooperate. ANY help?
    Thanks Folks!
    Den

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have a SCSI card, and a USB 2.0 card that I had added to my computer. I will take them out and try again later this afternoon.
    Have you removed those cards and reset PRAM / NVRAM [Command-Option-P-R keys]?
    PowerMac G5 Debian Squeeze - MacOSX Leopard / Lenovo 3000 N200 Debian Wheezy
    PowerPCFAQ, PowerPCKnownIssues, Booting the Installer on PowerPC, Yaboot - How to configure the PPC Bootloader

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast