Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Broadcom B43 driver and STA driver in driver list?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Beans
    6

    Broadcom B43 driver and STA driver in driver list?

    I have a laptop using the Broadcom B43 wireless driver, and it works perfectly.

    Now, recently while doing updates, a new driver popped up, the Broadcom STA driver. It says that it is also a driver.

    So, my question for you is: What is the STA driver, and is it better? Should I upgrade to it?

    Just asking ahead of time so i dont do something unnecessary and end up spending time to put it back.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Beans
    1

    Re: Broadcom B43 driver and STA driver in driver list?

    I just upgraded to the STA driver. So far the only noticeable difference is that my wireless rate is 54 Mb/s and not 1 Mb/s. That's enough for me to stick with it, at least until something goes horribly wrong.
    Last edited by nuclearfall; October 15th, 2008 at 03:11 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    South Side of Hell
    Beans
    134
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Broadcom B43 driver and STA driver in driver list?

    STA is the proprietary Driver from Broadcom and works even better so far than B43.

    I have been using the same Dell D610 since gutsy. I started out with the bcm43xx-fwcutter and firmware. It worked, but range was severely limited due to a bug that did not downgrade my bandwidth appropriatly automatically. So in order to use my laptop in the front room of my house I had to manually set the card to 1Mbps.

    As I upgraded I moved to the B43 driver. Worked quite well. was able to get 40% signal strength in the same room and did not have to muck with it manually.

    Now with Ibex I have moved to the STA driver. I now get 75% signal strength in the same room and can now actually take my laptop into my garage which is another 15Ft away and another wall.

    STA Driver FTW.
    Last edited by Nostalos; October 15th, 2008 at 03:32 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Beans
    6

    Re: Broadcom B43 driver and STA driver in driver list?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalos View Post
    STA is the proprietary Driver from Broadcom and works even better so far than B43.

    I have been using the same Dell D610 since gutsy. I started out with the bcm43xx-fwcutter and firmware. It worked, but range was severely limited due to a bug that did not downgrade my bandwidth appropriatly automatically. So in order to use my laptop in the front room of my house I had to manually set the card to 1Mbps.

    As I upgraded I moved to the B43 driver. Worked quite well. was able to get 40% signal strength in the same room and did not have to muck with it manually.

    Now with Ibex I have moved to the STA driver. I now get 75% signal strength in the same room and can now actually take my laptop into my garage which is another 15Ft away and another wall.

    STA Driver FTW.
    Alright, I think I'll give it a shot.

    BTW, just for my own purposes, before my wireless card was labeled wlan0, now its eth2. I know it doesn't really make a difference to the computer, but how can I relabel it wlan0?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    13

    Re: Broadcom B43 driver and STA driver in driver list?

    Quote Originally Posted by nuclearfall View Post
    I just upgraded to the STA driver. So far the only noticeable difference is that my wireless rate is 54 Mb/s and not 1 Mb/s. That's enough for me to stick with it, at least until something goes horribly wrong.
    SWEET!!! I just upgraded my kernel. Guess I will try switching drivers now

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    13

    Broadcom STA driver is faster than B43 driver

    I just did a quick little test after changing my drivers. Just a note, I did have to play around with reconfiguring my wifi after upgrading, but it's working now.

    I recently copied a DVD iso over my local wifi network in 100mb chunks using SCP. Speeds peeked at 16Mbps and dropped to 1Mbps at times with the B43 driver. For a quick test I copied 20 10MB files and 1 100MB file using the STA driver. Speeds peeked at 27Mbps and he lowest they dropped to was 20Mbps.

    Looks like an improvement to me.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Beans
    197
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Broadcom B43 driver and STA driver in driver list?

    I just installed this new driver and the speed difference is amazing. Before I had a strength of 55% to 65% now in that same room I have 80% to 100%.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Netherlands
    Beans
    62
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Broadcom STA driver is faster than B43 driver

    Quote Originally Posted by the_maplebar View Post
    ... Just a note, I did have to play around with reconfiguring my wifi after upgrading, but it's working now. ...
    I tried switching from B43 to STA but could not get a working connection anymore. I'm back on B43 now. What reconfiguration is required to get it working?
    100% ubuntu at home! Ubuntu server + kubuntu + xubuntu.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mount Horeb, WI
    Beans
    4,312
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Broadcom STA driver is faster than B43 driver

    Quote Originally Posted by ivomans View Post
    I tried switching from B43 to STA but could not get a working connection anymore. I'm back on B43 now. What reconfiguration is required to get it working?
    Did you disable the b43 driver? You might also have to blacklist the b43 and ssb driver to get the wl (STA) driver to work.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    BUE @ Argentina
    Beans
    1,225
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Broadcom STA driver is faster than B43 driver

    this seems to be the "official" thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=880218
    /**HP Pavilion DV6646us laptop: AMD 1.9 GHz Turion 64 X2 / 2Gb RAM / 160Gb HDD / NVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M / 15.4" WXGA / BroadCom BCM4328 wireless / Built-in webcam **/
    -- Kubuntu 9.04, CentOs 5.2, Mikrotik RouterOS 3.3 User -- Argentina LoCo Team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •