I'm encountering the following strange problem using Ubuntu 8.04.
Logged in properly under my own account, I can't select multiple non-adjacent items on the desktop, in nautilus or excel (oops... OoSpreadsheet, that is). This would typically be done by holding down the ctrl (control) key, while clicking different items.
E.g.: files A, B, C, D in a row - to select A & C: click A, hold ctrl down and click C. B is not selected.
What did I check:
- the key is working properly, as it works to set text to bold in OoWriter (you know... Word), ctrl-alt-del (to log out), etc. Seems not to be a harware failure.
- moreover: when logging in under my wife's profile, ctrl-click works just as expected...
- I'm running 8.04 with all the latest updates, although I don't recall having the problem under 7.10.
- I haven't changed any of the Gnome-settings (such as themes, pointers, behaviour,...) for as far as I know. I use ubuntu "as is".
Conclusion: not withstanding the last bullet above, I guess this is related to my Gnome / Nautilus settings, which I may have changed unintentionally... but i dunno how I did it, nor how to reverse it.
- any comments?
- any suggested checks to run?
- any solutions? (you never know?)
- does this sound familiar to anyone?
Thanks for any help.