Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Is there such a thing as a Female Linux User?

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Is there such a thing as a Female Linux User?

Quote Originally Posted by EDavidBurg View Post
    Ask LaRoza.
    New search engine.

Quote Originally Posted by nowin4me View Post
    LaRoza is a girl? Sorry LaRoza not trying to be sexist.
    Don't be sexist.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Angeles View Post
    man... somebody asks a valid question about the amount of female linux users and they're sexist? my fiance is here reading this with me and even she thinks you are being over the top.
    Well, it is usually just a breeding ground for asking for dates and such. We have to call Joanna often.

Quote Originally Posted by EDavidBurg View Post
    No one will ever know (except those that do).
    Now you are talking like me

Quote Originally Posted by hardyn View Post
    any single, female, linux users?
    Yes, but they wouldn't be interested in you. Stick to your usual type, women with little wispy beards and carry purses full of string.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by DOS4dinner View Post
    Are there any girls that use Linux? Most girls I've met only know the basics of computers, and they have no clue what Linux is. I figure there must be at least a few out there, but I've yet to find one.
    Sheesh of course there are ladies using Linux. Ubuntu Women

OS: Kubuntu 12.04 LTS|| CPU: AMD Athlon 64x2 || RAM: 3GB DDR2(PC-6400) || Display: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT 1024mb

Beans
    Hidden!

it wasnt the question that came across as sexist but more the commend "Most girls I've met only know the basics of computers, and they have no clue what Linux is", which whilst probably true (most people i know in general only know the basics of computers and have no clue what linux is), has an air of condescension and sexism about it.

most black people i know dont know anything about computers or linux. is there such thing as a black linux user?

Beans

Good morning every one.
    Answer to the question, here I am.
    Unfortunately, I need Windows for my website until I can be sure of what I am doing with Linux. I own a photo site. Feel free to check it out
    http://smilesinmotion.biz/
    I put it together myself about 8 months ago (with some help of course)
    Last edited by IusedTObeSOMEONEelse; October 15th, 2008 at 01:38 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MustangSallydd View Post
    http://smilesinmotion.biz/
    I put it together myself about 8 months ago
    I suggest you take it apart and try again

http://www.useit.com/

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by DOS4dinner View Post
    Are there any girls that use Linux? Most girls I've met only know the basics of computers, and they have no clue what Linux is. I figure there must be at least a few out there, but I've yet to find one.
    My mother is a Linux user. She doesn't want to even THINK about Windows again.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by MustangSallydd View Post
    I put it together myself about 8 months ago
    looks like ifp3 put it together to me

Beans

Seriously?

The short answer: yes.

The unabridged version: I'm a woman (or female, as you put it), and honestly it never occurred to me that Linux distros would be more appealing to men than women. My boyfriend made an Ubuntu liveCD for me in January of this year to try on my new Vaio. I installed it per his insistence (note: he sure made it sound as though he knew what he was talking about... I should have known better. He had no knowledge of working with Linux whatsoever. I was stranded! It turned out he just wanted to commission my *new* computer as his Linux guinea pig!). Anyway, these days the tables have turned in this house. I stuck it out with Linux, purged Windows from all my machines, learned how to work from the terminal, and now I'm the one he turns to when his precious computer mystifies him. Hehe.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Is there such a thing as a Female Linux User?

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Watts View Post
    My 14 year old daughter is a hardcore Linux user. When I was assembling the computer I planned to give to her, I asked her if she wanted windows, dual-boot or Ubuntu only, and she immediately replied that she only wanted Ubuntu installed.

She's no Linux Guru, but she knows how to use the Synaptic Package Manager and regularly executes commands from the command line.

She spent the whole afternoon with me at the 2008 Ohio Linux Fest and actually enjoyed it...

Given the choice, she chooses Linux over windows. I think that qualifies her as a Female Linux User.
    Ohio Linux Fest 2008...where three of us speakers were girls. Those'd be me, Esther, and Elizabeth Garbee. Of course, there's no way my talk could've been any good, since obviously girls are so bad with computers I couldn't have known what I was talking about when I wrote up my slides on Linux laptop security.

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by cake_or_death View Post
    Seriously?

The short answer: yes.

The unabridged version: I'm a woman (or female, as you put it), and honestly it never occurred to me that Linux distros would be more appealing to men than women. My boyfriend made an Ubuntu liveCD for me in January of this year to try on my new Vaio. I installed it per his insistence (note: he sure made it sound as though he knew what he was talking about... I should have known better. He had no knowledge of working with Linux whatsoever. I was stranded! It turned out he just wanted to commission my *new* computer as his Linux guinea pig!). Anyway, these days the tables have turned in this house. I stuck it out with Linux, purged Windows from all my machines, learned how to work from the terminal, and now I'm the one he turns to when his precious computer mystifies him. Hehe.
    wow...that sounds almost exactly like me. I just got a Vaio laptop in June and by the time September rolled around i was so sick of windows that i had my boyfriend put ubuntu on my computer for me. But he is an AVID linux user. He has been using linux since red hat and is currently using arch. I am still trying to learn the terminal things, but i hope to be as good as my boyfriend someday.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast