Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Macbook Ubuntu Ready???

Beans

New Macbook Ubuntu Ready???

So the big question is...

What in the new Macbook (http://www.apple.com/macbook/) has changed if anything that would prevent me from upgrading that perfect case with an OS worthy such beauty?

I've seen the upgrade HowTo that makes a Macbook into a working Ubuntu system (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook) but I am concerned hardware changes will limit functionality in this new release. And its just to damn expensive to not have all the bells and whistles working.

~Thanks~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: New Macbook Ubuntu Ready???

For one I doubt you'll be able to switch between the two graphics cards seamlessly anymore. there may also be some issues with the trackpad, or there may not. No one will really know until someone tries to install it.
    Posting code? Use the [code] or [php] tags.
    I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I'm pretty sure only the Pro comes with 2 graphics cards (which is one too many, IMO).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by danbuter View Post
    I'm pretty sure only the Pro comes with 2 graphics cards (which is one too many, IMO).
    I say get rid of all the video cards! These CPUs have been getting it easy, having their own personal slave to do all the hum-drum work while they get to do fun things like calculating pi to the 4E+24 digit. I demand G/CPU equality!

</sarcasm>
    Posting code? Use the [code] or [php] tags.
    I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Looking at the available specs, there is no show stopper, but the nvidia cards have given trouble in the past when they first came out. I think we have most of the touchpad stuff situated (though if it doesn't have a button anymore, that means we will need to make sure that tapping is setup by default.) As soon as someone gets a hold of one and gets at least an lspci output from it, then we can speculate a bit more.

Beans

Wow... it looks like an MBA with dvd drive. My guess would be that the touchpad is the bcm5974, and that - as you all said already - the new graphics card will pose some initial problems. There will also be problems with the fans and temperature settings initially, but at least we should be able to fix those things quickly.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    (though if it doesn't have a button anymore, that means we will need to make sure that tapping is setup by default.)
    The next upstream version of synaptics automatically turns on features based on machine capability. I can see single tap will work out-of-the-box. I guess there are several choices as how to enable multi-finger taps on this one... suggest something, and I'll consider it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kosumi68 View Post
    The next upstream version of synaptics automatically turns on features based on machine capability. I can see single tap will work out-of-the-box. I guess there are several choices as how to enable multi-finger taps on this one... suggest something, and I'll consider it
    yea should at least have one-finger tap for single click and two-finger tap for right click at least. something consistent anyway. more advanced functions can be configured by the user. Right-Click was a big enough issue back in the day so we should hit this one on the head as it is a bit more pressing

Beans

Well I'm about to place my order so I should have a system soon to test on.

Another spin off question - is it possible just to destroy the mac install and load Ubuntu without OS-X.whatever on the system assuming that the system will run Ubuntu at all???

Beans

That would be even easier than trying to preserve the OS X install. However, I would go with dual boot, because you are paying the software, and there really isn't any reason to tank it unless you really need the space.

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast