Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New Macbook Ubuntu Ready???

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: New Macbook Ubuntu Ready???

They did it again. I am very impressed.

A good product even better than before.

Hope Ubuntu comes to a high level for this nice hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie708 View Post
    That would be even easier than trying to preserve the OS X install. However, I would go with dual boot, because you are paying the software, and there really isn't any reason to tank it unless you really need the space.
    Plus it will help us make sure it is working as it did before OK as well. Even if you don't want to keep it that way, it would be most helpful from an informational standpoint.

Beans

Actually the whole trackpad is a (physical) button, so tap to click should rather be disabled by default, since it would be rather redundant.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Spark* View Post
    Actually the whole trackpad is a (physical) button, so tap to click should rather be disabled by default, since it would be rather redundant.
    Oh... there was room for misinterpretation here - thanks for clearing that up! This means it will appear as a normal single-button mouse, for which the tapping is off by default. Two-finger and three-finger click will work, as will two-finger scrolling.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kosumi68 View Post
    Oh... there was room for misinterpretation here - thanks for clearing that up! This means it will appear as a normal single-button mouse, for which the tapping is off by default. Two-finger and three-finger click will work, as will two-finger scrolling.
    Yes, good info. I saw something that suggested that recently, but wasn't sure about it. This helps a lot!

I wonder if it will need to handle multi-finger taps differently then...

Beans

hi, i just bought a new macbook pro (i'm waiting for it…) and i'll installa a linux distro in dual boot with os x, probably ubuntu. I'll report here once tryed…

Beans

I'm also waiting for my order, but the known details seem to be this:

- The pad can be pressed down anywhere to activate a single click (obviously)

- For dragging, one can also use a second finger to make a click and it will be smart enough to register the click at the first finger's position (this sounds like it would conflict with a two-finger-tap gesture if it does anything else)

- It is possible to configure that clicks (or taps, not sure right now) in the bottom right corner of the pad register as second mouse button.

- Two and three finger gestures are the same, but there are also the new four finger gestures (up for show desktop, down for expose, left or right for application switcher).

Beans

- For dragging, one can also use a second finger to make a click and it will be smart enough to register the click at the first finger's position (this sounds like it would conflict with a two-finger-tap gesture if it does anything else)
    I wonder if the new macbook can still be configured to give a right click on a two-finger click.

- It is possible to configure that clicks (or taps, not sure right now) in the bottom right corner of the pad register as second mouse button.
    This can be done with the available version of synaptics.

- Two and three finger gestures are the same, but there are also the new four finger gestures (up for show desktop, down for expose, left or right for application switcher).
    there is no technichal difficulty here, only that it needs a change upstream, in synaptics, and in the applications... We might go for the MPX stuff while we're at it. It takes a big joint effort to get these things in place, but we will eventually get there.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kosumi68 View Post
    I wonder if the new macbook can still be configured to give a right click on a two-finger click.
    It seems so:

The image is from this article: http://www.macworld.com/article/1360...irst_look.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It seems so:

The image is from this article: http://www.macworld.com/article/1360...irst_look.html
    There is a difference though... there is tap-to-click, and there there is clicking when two fingers are on the touchpad. This is already implemented in current Macbooks. However, on the new machine, both of these could essentially be the same gesture which is why the concern...

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast