Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: New Macbook Ubuntu Ready???

Beans

Re: New Macbook Ubuntu Ready???

Quote Originally Posted by jackoverfull View Post
    shouldn't a 64 bit version be a more appropriate choice, unless you need the 32 bit one?
    I used to stick with the 64-bit version religiously, but it just hasn't been worth it. On Gutsy 64-bit flash would work the first 2 times, then I would have to restart firefox and kill nsplugin. It simply works on 32-bit. Rather shallow reason, but I switched to Ubuntu from years of gentoo because I want everything to just work.

but maybe a bit of tuning is enough to make alsa work, if the card is recognized…
    Ok, this is weird. This morning I booted from OS X into Ubuntu and magically the sound worked. Going to do a little testing later to see if this is a warm boot fluke.

Quote Originally Posted by waldobeer View Post
    ... Errors about the mouse not being recognized by the synaptic driver.
    what do you mean?
    From /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

Code:
    (II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 0.15.2
    Synaptics Touchpad no synaptics event device found
    (**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    (**) Option "SHMConfig" "on"
    (**) Option "LeftEdge" "20"
    (**) Option "RightEdge" "1200"
    (**) Option "TopEdge" "20"
    (**) Option "BottomEdge" "370"
    (**) Option "FingerLow" "10"
    (**) Option "FingerHigh" "20"
    (**) Option "MaxTapTime" "100"
    (**) Option "MaxTapMove" "100"
    (**) Option "MaxDoubleTapTime" "200"
    (**) Option "VertScrollDelta" "10"
    (**) Option "HorizScrollDelta" "10"
    (**) Option "VertEdgeScroll" "0"
    (**) Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "0"
    (**) Option "VertTwoFingerScroll" "1"
    (**) Option "HorizTwoFingerScroll" "1"
    (**) Option "TapButton2" "3"
    (**) Option "TapButton3" "2"
    (**) Option "PressureMotionMinZ" "10"
    Query no Synaptics: 6003C8
    (EE) Synaptics Touchpad no synaptics touchpad detected and no repeater device
    (EE) Synaptics Touchpad Unable to query/initialize Synaptics hardware.
    (EE) PreInit failed for input device "Synaptics Touchpad"
    (II) UnloadModule: "synaptics"

maybe with a 64 bit os…
    Yea, running the 64-bit version would probably fix it, however I'm not going to blow it all away right now to try.

One last question for those of you who have used linux on a macbook before, where did my insert and pgup/down keys go? Typing up this message made me realize how much I use them. Is there any known way to map them to fn+something for both the console and in X? Slapping "|more" on the end of every command is like hopping in the DeLorian w/ Doc. Brown.
    Last edited by waldobeer; October 19th, 2008 at 04:18 PM. Reason: rant

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kosumi68 View Post
    Glad to hear it booted!

> * mouse - Trackpad and left click work fine, changes for right click/scrolling [...] do not work. Errors about the mouse not being recognized by the synaptic driver.

And most likely the bcm5974 driver does not recognize the trackpad, either. It would be enormously helpful if you would like to post the output of the commands listed here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...75&postcount=4. With that information, we can proactively fix a lot of problems.
    Done. Results are attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Excellent! Here is a dkms package with an updated version of bcm5974 to test. Also attached the source file patch, in case you compile your own kernel.

One important question for the mapping of device ids: is your keyboard the US (ANSI) version?
    Last edited by kosumi68; October 24th, 2008 at 08:48 PM. Reason: use the mactel PPA

Beans

Actually, the SMC scan is slightly incomplete, apparently the number of keys is now larger than 256. I am attaching a new version of the scan-smc.sh script which should give the complete list.

Beans

Excellent! Here is a dkms package with an updated version of bcm5974 to test. Also attached the source file patch, in case you compile your own kernel.

One important question for the mapping of device ids: is your keyboard the US (ANSI) version?
    The keyboard should be the US (ANSI) version, bought in the US.

I'll give that package a shot in a bit. Right now fighting with gparted to get a LVM partition.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    No (separate) firmware needed. Broadcom recently released the windows driver components as a Linux driver (with a binary blob in there.)

Quote Originally Posted by waldobeer View Post
    I used to stick with the 64-bit version religiously, but it just hasn't been worth it. On Gutsy 64-bit flash would work the first 2 times, then I would have to restart firefox and kill nsplugin. It simply works on 32-bit. Rather shallow reason, but I switched to Ubuntu from years of gentoo because I want everything to just work.

i see…
    Well, i'm coming from ppc, so at least i will not miss flash…

Ok, this is weird. This morning I booted from OS X into Ubuntu and magically the sound worked. Going to do a little testing later to see if this is a warm boot fluke.

One last question for those of you who have used linux on a macbook before, where did my insert and pgup/down keys go? Typing up this message made me realize how much I use them. Is there any known way to map them to fn+something for both the console and in X? Slapping "|more" on the end of every command is like hopping in the DeLorian w/ Doc. Brown.
    mmmh… if i remember correctly the last time i used ubuntu on my ibook the fn+arrows and fn+fkays worked out of the box…

Beans

I dropped the package and still have no right click/scroll on the touchpad. The logs are reporting that the mouse is still unrecognisable as a synaptic pad. I've attached my xorg.conf and startup log. Any ideas would be helpful.

Beans

Yes - it has been a while since we had the initial problems with new device ids, so I simply forgot that the device needs to be masked from HID. Several alternatives:

1. Edit /etc/modprobe.d/bcm5974, making sure you get a line like this:
    Code:
    options usbhid quirks=0x05ac:0x0236:0x00020800
    then 'sudo depmod -a' and reboot is necessary.

2. Remove the package and install the attached replacement.

It might even be needed to add the quirks line to /etc/initramfs-tools/options, followed by 'sudo update-initramfs -u -v -k `uname -r`', although we never did that back then.

The output of the attached script bcm5974-diagnostics.sh should be able to give you hints as to the problem, should it persist after the update.
    Last edited by kosumi68; October 24th, 2008 at 09:12 PM. Reason: use the mactel PPA

Beans

Actually, the SMC scan is slightly incomplete, apparently the number of keys is now larger than 256. I am attaching a new version of the scan-smc.sh script which should give the complete list.
    Updated SMC scan is attached.

Beans

Yes - it has been a while since we had the initial problems with new device ids, so I simply forgot that the device needs to be masked from HID. Several alternatives:

1. Edit /etc/modprobe.d/bcm5974, making sure you get a line like this:
    Code:
    options usbhid quirks=0x05ac:0x0236:0x00020800
    then 'sudo depmod -a' and reboot is necessary.

2. Remove the package and install the attached replacement.

It might even be needed to add the quirks line to /etc/initramfs-tools/options, followed by 'sudo update-initramfs -u -v -k `uname -r`', although we never did that back then.

The output of the attached script bcm5974-diagnostics.sh should be able to give you hints as to the problem, should it persist after the update.
    The good news is that after installing the package and rebooting, X recognises the mouse as a touchpad. Bad news is that now the mouse stopped working, lol. Attaching diagnostic output. Also I disabled all the options in my xorg.conf in case that was the problem (also attached).

Also, running "synclient -m 1" shows nothing when using the trackpad.

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast