Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

Thread: New Macbook Ubuntu Ready???

Beans

Re: New Macbook Ubuntu Ready???

Did any of you guys get to fix the reboot problem.. my macbook 5,1 (13in not pro) hangs at a blank black screen (somewhere before the BIOS) at reboot.. I am using intrepid (ubuntu 8.10), I also tried the new 2.6.28 kernel with no luck.. Not to mention all the proposed workarounds: alsa-utils, reboot=b, acpi off, cpufreq commands as part of the reboot sequence.. Nothing works for me, I even had the problem with Debian lenny.. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me, it's really annoying

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by P@nk View Post
    ...my macbook 5,1 (13in not pro) hangs at a blank black screen (somewhere before the BIOS) at reboot...
    Same problem here. I never managed to get this machine to reboot. I just shutdown and boot

Regards, Nikos

P.S. Macs don't have a BIOS. Except if you mean something else...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by joka. View Post
    Can someone confirm if the Fn keys are working for adjusting the brightness in the MBP 5,1?

Screen brightness adjustment scripts found in: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook%20Aluminum
    joka,

_if_ I would have the time I would just make a video, upload it somewhere so there are no doubts that the Fn brightness regulation keys do work when I enable the 3D effects.

Regards, Nikos

P.S. MBP5,1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Hello all.

This is my first post in the Ubuntu Forums. First of all - thank you all for being here! This is a pretty awesome community!!

I also have Macbook 5.1 (13") running 8.10. I echo some of the issues above.

The best that I could do for the brightness issue is install the latest nvclock (it's an NVidia utility?). After that, brightness can be adjusted as follows:
    Code:
    /usr/local/bin/nvclock -S [VALUE]
    Where VALUE is a percentage between 15 and 100. I have this line in a script called "brightness". Very high-tech! I've not yet figured out a way to map that to the F1/F2 keys. Previously someone in this thread said it can be done with "3D effects" -- how?

Also - still have the reboot issue. I always do shutdown and never reboot. Also - when I do shutdown, the "ubuntu" splash screen is half-garbled by the graphics card. Anyone else get that?

Thx!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by poliocough View Post
    Also - when I do shutdown, the "ubuntu" splash screen is half-garbled by the graphics card. Anyone else get that?
    I solved this by installing StartUp-Manager and setting the splash display resolution from 800x600 to 1024x768.
    I hope this helps you
    Watch the universe (and websites, mails, files, network ports, facebook, bzr branches, Google Wave,...) with Specto: http://specto.sourceforge.net
    Specto stable bzr ppa

Beans

I am still not satisfied with our touchpad functionality. First a quick recap after reading through this thread, in OS X there are two methods of right and left clicking.

Left Clicking:
    1) with a single finger, point and click on the object you wish to move or or select

2) using two fingers, point with one and click with the other (often the thumb)

Right Clicking
    1) With two fingers, use both fingers to point at the object, and both fingers to click down on the pad

2) With three fingers, use two to point at the object, and the third to click down on the pad (again often the thumb)

I am seeing option 1) for both right and left clicking from the current Mactel software. But in my opinion, option 2) is more natural.

As a quick alternative to option 1), could we make the bottom 1/4th of the trackpad a virtual button, with the left half being a left click and the right half being a right click? Clicking would be ignored on the top 3/4's and touching would be ignored on the bottom 1/4th.

Any thoughts on this? Thank you in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I am still not satisfied with our touchpad functionality. First a quick recap after reading through this thread, in OS X there are two methods of right and left clicking.

Left Clicking:
    1) with a single finger, point and click on the object you wish to move or or select

2) using two fingers, point with one and click with the other (often the thumb)

Right Clicking
    1) With two fingers, use both fingers to point at the object, and both fingers to click down on the pad

2) With three fingers, use two to point at the object, and the third to click down on the pad (again often the thumb)

I am seeing option 1) for both right and left clicking from the current Mactel software. But in my opinion, option 2) is more natural.

As a quick alternative to option 1), could we make the bottom 1/4th of the trackpad a virtual button, with the left half being a left click and the right half being a right click? Clicking would be ignored on the top 3/4's and touching would be ignored on the bottom 1/4th.

Any thoughts on this? Thank you in advance
    but there is also tapping which pretty much works on all touchpads (on macs and other PCs).

Plus, "clicking" the touchpad only works with your specific hardware. The drivers were are using have to work for yours and other hardware with the same touchpad, but they don't "click". that is what makes this difficult.

Additionally, the "pointing with more than one finger, and clicking a button" function is really an OS X specific funtion (because there is only one button... Most other PCs have a right button) that we have tried to implement here because we are working on Macs and some of us are used to that functionality.

There is also the hold CTRL while clicking method, but I dont really count that as a "right click"

Beans

Im trying to install Intrepid (8.10 alternate i386) on one of the new 2009 White MacBook with Geforce 9400M video.
    When I try to boot the CD, it crashes right after selecting "Install Ubuntu".
    Two lines of text appear and then it crashes on a blank screen.
    I tried adding "nofb" to the boot line but it didn't improve at all.
    Any suggestions appreciated.

UPDATE: Moved this issue to a different thread here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6842526
    Last edited by sistoviejo; March 5th, 2009 at 03:11 PM.
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by poliocough View Post
    The best that I could do for the brightness issue is install the latest nvclock (it's an NVidia utility?). After that, brightness can be adjusted as follows:
    Code:
    /usr/local/bin/nvclock -S [VALUE]
    Where VALUE is a percentage between 15 and 100. I have this line in a script called "brightness". Very high-tech! I've not yet figured out a way to map that to the F1/F2 keys.
    did you install the nvidia-bl-dkms package from the mactel PPA as described here (at he end of the document)?
    btw: the 'shift=2' option isn't necessary on jaunty anymore.

ciao,
    Mario

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kosumi68 View Post
    The multi-finger click actions are supposed to work like this:

1 finger and click: left button
    2 fingers and click: right button
    3 fingers and click: middle button
    1 finger and hold click: drag

The confusion is about the trackpad also being the button. Clicking near the bottom of the pad, where the button used to be, one expects basically the same behavior as if the button was there. Inevitably, the finger that clicks the imaginary button is *on the trackpad*. If the trackpad driver reports all fingers as usual, the multi-finger click actions all get confused, since there is one finger too many reported. That is why I added the somewhat odd feature that when clicking the trackpad, the last finger added is disregarded. This finger is normally the clicking finger. Effectively, when clicking, the number of fingers reported is reduced by one, which restores the behavior to the one described above.

kosumi68, Do you still have the module or bcm5974.c file for this functionality (I believe you and waldobeer were calling it the "two hand" method). The current bcm5974 module implements the "one hand" method, and this is pretty painful to use. For example, if you are trying to drag something, you click down and drag all with one finger, but you quickly run out of trackpad realestate and have to let go, which releases all of the items you were dragging.

Thank you

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast