Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: New Macbook Ubuntu Ready???

Beans

Re: New Macbook Ubuntu Ready???

I've opened a wiki page for the new macbooks here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook%20Aluminum

Obviously it's very bare - I'll document when I pick one up in the next few weeks, otherwise I'm sure plenty of people will appreciate any extra detail anyone can add.

waldobeer, I've quoted you directly under Basic Instructions, hope that's ok. Please edit if not.

Beans

I was about to do that (start a new overview page) but I didn't dare since I am very new to all this. In fact I don't know if I will finally get a Mac. But a friend of mine has already one (4.1) and I am thinking of spending (everything I got!) if Ubuntu works on it (...and don't spend any money for the next half year )

Cheers, Nikos

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by luckycatfu View Post
    I've opened a wiki page for the new macbooks here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook%20Aluminum

Obviously it's very bare - I'll document when I pick one up in the next few weeks, otherwise I'm sure plenty of people will appreciate any extra detail anyone can add.

waldobeer, I've quoted you directly under Basic Instructions, hope that's ok. Please edit if not.
    In your new page you don't mention rEFIt 0.12! It's out and it supports the new MB(P). Check it out... http://refit.sourceforge.net/

Cheers, Nikos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos.Alexandris View Post
    In your new page you don't mention rEFIt 0.12! It's out and it supports the new MB(P). Check it out... http://refit.sourceforge.net/

Cheers, Nikos
    You can edit it... It is a wiki

I made a couple of minor edits to the page.

Beans

Hey all, I got one of the first Macbook pro, 5,1 and am on Ubuntu 8.04(tried to use 8.10, but the OS did not boot at all.)

So far I have the webcam(out of box), basic graphics acceleration of the integrated gpu,wireless, my work stuff(cisco vpn, sip client...ect).

I got the sound card and speakers to play music, but it comes out all messed up(like someone is blending it.)

I cannot get the back light keyboard, multi touch pad, blue tooth, 9600m gt graphics acceleration or hybrid functionality, and the function key to work.

If anyone has some suggestions or would like to work on it, that would be wonderful. I am a linux newb, but know some basic commands.

my hardward profile is attached in a notepad.

If you need any other information, please ask and I will do my best to provide.

Thanks!

ps.
    dmidecode| grep Product:
    Product Name: MacBookPro5,1
    Product Name: Mac-F42D86C8
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bazzwaa; October 23rd, 2008 at 08:33 PM. Reason: attached hardware profile in notepad.

Beans

bazzwaa,

Great! So we got the PCI information in your first post. We also need to know more about the USB. Could you please provide the defails listed in this post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...75&postcount=4, and we should be able to fix the accelerometer, light sensor, keyboard backlight, temperature sensors, and multitouch for you.

PS: If you could edit your previous post and move the long text into an attached file instead, that would be super. The pages of this thread are tough to read - even with two-finger scroll
    Last edited by kosumi68; October 23rd, 2008 at 09:02 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by waldobeer View Post
    Hmm, I installed the deb, rebooted and at first mouse clicks were not working, but two finger scrolling was. While generating the debug info clicks started working and scrolling stopped. When I attempt two finger scroll now, the cursor just moves.

clicks: 1 finger click, 2 finger, 3 finger. 2 finger scroll up, down.
    Oops.

After fixing all the details regarding buttons, it seems I managed to leave out the part that actually reports them

The sudden change in behavor indicates moving from the bcm5974 input to standard mouse input, which happens when the module is forcefully removed when we test. The ctrl+alt+f1-and-alt+f7 trick helps.

From your log, it seems the pressure scale is *not* changed much after all. The click-with-moving-finger strategy generally means pressing harder on the trackpad. Adjusted the range somewhat in this version.
    Last edited by kosumi68; October 24th, 2008 at 09:00 PM. Reason: use the mactel PPA

Beans

Smile Re: New Macbook Ubuntu Ready???

Quote Originally Posted by kosumi68 View Post
    Oops.

After fixing all the details regarding buttons, it seems I managed to leave out the part that actually reports them

The sudden change in behavor indicates moving from the bcm5974 input to standard mouse input, which happens when the module is forcefully removed when we test. The ctrl+alt+f1-and-alt+f7 trick helps.

From your log, it seems the pressure scale is *not* changed much after all. The click-with-moving-finger strategy generally means pressing harder on the trackpad. Adjusted the range somewhat in this version.
    This one works. The only thing that is a little bothersome is that you cannot do right-click dragging: right-click down, move mouse, release. I'm guessing right now it is sending mousewheel scroll because two fingers are moving, but the mouse cursor isn't. Is there any way to do this without the extra changes you were talking about to the synaptic driver?

drag: right-click down, move mouse, release
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by waldobeer View Post
    ... The only thing that is a little bothersome is that you cannot do right-click dragging: right-click down, move mouse, release.
    Is this a "normal" feature? I can't do that on my laptop (Ubuntu 8.04) using a mouse.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos.Alexandris View Post
    Is this a "normal" feature? I can't do that on my laptop (Ubuntu 8.04) using a mouse.
    Yup, right-click down anywhere in firefox, and the menu comes up. Move your mouse to the menu item you want.

Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast