Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Office 3.0 installed in Hardy Heron 8.04 easily

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Open Office 3.0 installed in Hardy Heron 8.04 easily

I have installed OO 3.0 on my desk and laptops with Hardy and Intrepid. Everything was effortless and is running great.

I completely removed all OO related installs through Synaptic.

Went to http://download.openoffice.org/other.html#en-US

Selected the English (in my case) version: OOo_3.0.0_LinuxIntel_install_en-US_deb.tar.gz

Downloaded the file (OOo_3.0.0_LinuxIntel_install_en-US_deb.tar.gz) from Openoffice.org

Created a directory in /home/name/whatever.
    edit: name = your name (directory created during Ubuntu installation) (whatever = Oo30 (that is what I named it) There is actually another sub-directory created so you could just extract to your home folder or even to the desktop. Once installation is completed you can delete the folder. With in that folder will be a DEBS and desktop-integration sub-directories.

Extracted files using File Roller (default Gnome compression utility) to the created directory. Double click on file downloaded will open in File Roller.

Went to terminal and "cd" to new directory (example: /home/name/OO3/DEBS) then entered "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" The "DEBS" sub-directory is created when extracting. This installs the program.

Then changed to the other sub-directory created during extract (~/DEBS/desktop-integration) and repeated command "sudo dpkg -i *.deb". This creates the menu choices.

Started OO 3.0 and it works like a charm for me.

The desktop icon created using menu right click was read only but right click, properties allows changing that so I could rename the shortcut icon if you do not like the default short-cut name.
    Last edited by 73ckn797; November 3rd, 2008 at 01:40 AM. Reason: More info to clarify things.

Beans

Re: Open Office 3.0 installed in Hardy Heron 8.04 easily

Downloading...
    Microsoft Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Note I had to log out and back in for this to work.
    Also, uninstalling OpenOffice 2.4 seems to have uninstalled a lot of my language support. So far it seems that the only way to get multiple language support in OpenOffice 3 is to download the ones you want from the site and install their language packages. I'm doing that right now to make sure it works...
    Installing OpenOffice language packs off Synaptic will uninstall OpenOffice 3 and reinstall 2.4.

Beans

hi, I'm still a day and half Ubuntu user. I've installed Hardy x64, uninstalled Open Office 2 but failed to install Open Office 3.
    My problem, I can not go into the folder where I extracted the OO 3. is it cd ..<path\folder>, cd ~<path\folder>, can enlighten me on this. I tried to find places where I can download the console commands but also failed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I found a tutorial that had commands listed for upgrading to OpenOffice 3.0.

Here are some links:

http://openofficedocs.wordpress.com/...-30-on-ubuntu/

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=3363

http://howtoforge.org/how-to-install...on-ubuntu-8.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by elav View Post
    hi, I'm still a day and half Ubuntu user. I've installed Hardy x64, uninstalled Open Office 2 but failed to install Open Office 3.
    My problem, I can not go into the folder where I extracted the OO 3. is it cd ..<path\folder>, cd ~<path\folder>, can enlighten me on this. I tried to find places where I can download the console commands but also failed.
    I recommend you read this free e-book: "Introduction To Linux: A Beginner's Guide" by Machtelt Garrels. It will help with the basics of moving around in the terminal.

Just to let you know now that a ".." at the start of the path means "go back one folder".
    The "~" means "my home directory" (/home/yourusername).
    A single "." means the current directory and is mostly used when running a program in the current directory.
    Absolute paths start with / and always go from the very start of the filesystem instead of from the current directory.

Examples:
    You are in /home/user/Documents/work and want to go into /home/user/Documents/fun
    • cd ../fun
    • cd ~/Documents/fun
    • cd /home/user/Documents/fun
    ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇█▉▊▋▌▍▎▏▏▎▍▌▋▊▉█▇▆▅▄▃▂▁

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Another trap for the unwary: Make sure to download the Linux DEB version specified by the original poster! I somehow managed to get the Linux RPM one - I don't know whether there's a way to actually get it going (I assume there is) but as it's not the one specified in the above instructions I'm using another 150MB downloading the DEB one now!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by March Felloworthy View Post
    I'm using another 150MB downloading the DEB one now!
    I hope you're not with Telstra

In order to install the Debian menu/Desktop integration deb you have to remove OOo2. This is a good guide

I found a thread about getting Nautilus to show ODF thumbnails for those interested. Works with OOo3, just change all 2's to 3.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=76566
    ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇█▉▊▋▌▍▎▏▏▎▍▌▋▊▉█▇▆▅▄▃▂▁

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Please ignore. Posted in error.
    Mac Pro 5,1 6-Core 3.33GHz, 48GB, Sapphire RX580
    Optical -- Apple Super Drive & MCE Internal Blu-ray
    512GB SM 970 Pro NVMe/HighPoint 7101A/10.14.5
    SonnetAllegro Pro USB 3/ 4TB WD/4TB - Barracuda

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by quanumphaze View Post
    I hope you're not with Telstra

In order to install the Debian menu/Desktop integration deb you have to remove OOo2. This is a good guide

I found a thread about getting Nautilus to show ODF thumbnails for those interested. Works with OOo3, just change all 2's to 3.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=76566
    I am indeed with Telstra, Quanum! Thankfully, I habe a 12GB plan, which I hit the limit on for the first time last month. Thankfully, it was right at the end of the billing cycle so we only had to put up with a shaped connection for about a day.

And thanks for the guide; I've taken OO2.4 all the way off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast