Thread: whats what?

Beans

whats what?

I ran across this forum, I live In ABQ and use linux. I would like to talk to others that live in ABQ about linux. Am I at the right place?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: whats what?

This is it. It takes a bit to get use to, but between the nm-loco team, and the ubuntu forum, there is everything here that you will need.

There is a meeting every tuesday on the IRC channel on freenode>#ubuntu-us-nm.

at 8:00 p.m.

Join the new mexico ubuntu team and sign up for the mailing list and forum and all and you will get email concerning all the live get togethers and team activities.

The team is very helpful and the main Ubuntu forum has everything you need to get started and learn.

You are welcome to the team. Just look around and you will get an idea how all this stuff works.

Beans

Could not have said it better, you bet this is the right place.

Beans

cool

I have been using linux for over a year, self taught. currently am running gentoo. I have a custom box that I tried kubuntu hardy on, it locked up on me to many times so I switched it to sabayon.
    I hear the beta intrepid is doing well, think I will try it out.

Beans

Brrrr

Kinda wanted to clear things up, On a world forum I would not care, I expect to meet some or all of you some day.
    When I say kubuntu did not work for me. I meant it did not work on that custom box. It is a new build. A quad 6700, 4 gigs ram, nvidia 8600, sata DVD and hdd. Not many distros would run it out of the box. Main problem was with the sata raid modules, I also had to install a old pci nic, and IDE cd drive to get a distro installed. After a kernel was updated there was only 2 that I found would work.
    Kubuntu runs friggin fast, Google flash crash, I spent some time on it and could not fix it. So I put sabayon on it and runs well, not as fast as I would like, but dependable. Also, this would be, is my main box. It has to be rock solid!
    On the other hand, I run a kvm and have 2 dell's That have 5 other OS on, Posting from a fresh install of 8.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by genfool View Post
    I ran across this forum, I live In ABQ and use linux. I would like to talk to others that live in ABQ about linux. Am I at the right place?
    I live in Los Alamos, and use Ubuntu.. I don't know if there is a users group up here, but I have a channel on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/rofthorax

I'm currently interested in stuff pertaining to Ubuntu Studio. I also want to learn how to get MythTV or a IR remote setup so I can simplify remote control of a home media center. My interests just jump around. But you know if it is feasible, there is bound to be some way to do it with Ubuntu (or Linux).
    Last edited by rofthorax; August 9th, 2009 at 01:11 AM.

Beans

Glad to have you on board!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question Re: whats what?

I live in ABQ. I am 20 years old and go to UNM. I've been using Ubuntu on and of for about a year now. I've had it on my laptop since July. I'd like to think I am competent when using computers and the like, but if someone could give me a detailed run through, start to finish, on how to connect to IRC with pidgin. For some reason I can't.

Anyone