Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia 9800 GT issue & sound issue

Beans

Angry Nvidia 9800 GT issue & sound issue

Okay, I'm at the end of my ropes. I can't seem to get my video card working right, and after trying to get the video card to work I lost sound.

I'm use the Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT video card. I'm not running with any sound cards just what's on-board. The motherboard is an ASUS P5KPL-CM model, it's for the intel quad-core CPU's.

All I need to know is how do I get the drivers for my video card, and how do I get my on-board sound back?

Beans

Re: Nvidia 9800 GT issue & sound issue

Which drivers have you tried? that card does work see this thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=909460

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Does that card have HDMI? If so it is most likely that your default sound is being set to the HDMI on the video card. It is a vey common problem with HDMI graphics cards. You can get:

asoundconf.gtk

and use it to set the default sound card.

Beans

Well I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.04. I truthfully don't know what drivers I need for this video card. Can someone, anyone tell me what drivers or whatever else I need to get this God-forsaken video card working

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by melzanis View Post
    Well I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.04. I truthfully don't know what drivers I need for this video card. Can someone, anyone tell me what drivers or whatever else I need to get this God-forsaken video card working
    Did you read the post I already linked?

That tells you to try the newest driver versisons available at nvidias homepage. Im sure theres a card selector app so you you know your getting the correct one.

Also you could try envyng-gtk application available in the repos, this should install the correct one for you, although with a card that new it may require a visit to nvidia homepage.

EDIT: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Beans

Okay, I have read over that information in that link you sent me tuxxy. I reinstalled with the 64bit version, updated everything that was given to me in the update manager. I also downloaded the drive (Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver) it seems that I now allows me to run it. However, in the i386 version I can't. It's simply a type mismatch.

I am now faced with another issue that I'm sure will be a simple fix. I need to change my default runlevel, however I'm not sure where the file is that will allow me to change this setting. The reason for changing the default runlevel is simple. I need my system to boot into the console first, this way if something goes south. I still have access to my system.

once I know where the file is that allows me to change this setting, I should be able to have this drive installed in no time. So if some one is able to help me locate file, that would be great

Beans

Okay, I have been reading up and I've found the file it should be...
    However, I can't find /etc/inittab for the life of me. has that filename
    changed and I'm not aware of it. I guess you can say I'm in the dark.

Help please!!!!
    Last edited by melzanis; October 15th, 2008 at 03:58 AM.

Beans

Angry Re: Nvidia 9800 GT issue & sound issue

Okay so I made progress with changing my run level. I started the install process of the Nvidia driver.
    However it gave me an error saying: "Error:you do not appear to have libc header files installed on your system.
    Please install your distribution's libc development package"
    I'm not sure which ones I have to install i've looked up "libc" about the selection is a little overwhelming. I'm
    hoping that someone out their can point me in the right direction here?
    Last edited by melzanis; October 15th, 2008 at 05:41 AM. Reason: some progress

Beans
    Hidden!

Smile Re: Nvidia 9800 GT issue & sound issue

Be sure you have installed the 'build-essential' package

sudo apt-get install build-essential

For what it is worth, I've tried installing these drivers in my x64 bit ubuntu, and 32 bit ubuntu (both v8.04) and can't get the drivers to work.

It's not a matter of compiling, the driver install goes fine, it's a problem with X11 itself - after reboot or starting GDM my computer freezes solid or gives up a 'segmentation fault' with the driver module.

I've installed or re-installed the driver several times - all with the same result.

My only solution for now is to use the generic 'nv' driver - which it terrible - as I use this PC to play games on, and have to keep rebooting in to windows in order to do so. (This machine is dual booted).

Is there anyone in 'ubuntu land' that can pre-compile this newer driver? It's been officially release for both 32 and 64 bit versions of the OS - but I can't get it to work. Someone with more experience than me might be able to fix it.

Ubuntu is the best linux distro out there, IMHO, but this has become a weak spot since my upgrade to v8.04.

Thanks,
    Jon

Beans

Jon I want to thank you for your reply, you seem to be the only person in 'Ubuntu land' that seems to have some advise at precent. But I want to tank all those that have helped me up to this point so far.

I have made some progress with install this God-Forsaken driver(which by the way isn't instane, this driver should be a lot easier to install with this Linux Distro) but right now i'm not at my house so i'm only able to give part of the information I gather after installing the drive.

As you had pointed out Jon, the problem is not installing this driver but getting it to work right with X11 after the installation. I did install a C(programming langue) library and then dropped down to runlevel 3. The install went smoothly, however when I went to bump back into X interface it scream at me saying that there is a driver mismatch. The driver needed to be the 177..-- I don't know the rest of the module type -- this is only part of the information my computer at home gave me when trying to start X.

I had to reinstall, however I am using the amd64bit version of Ubuntu. I'm not sure if this is bad thing because i am using the Intel quadcore 2.4GHz CPU. If this is another issue please let me know.

Cheers,
    Melzanis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast