Thread: Virtual Desktop Performance Hints (needed)

Beans

Virtual Desktop Performance Hints (needed)

Hey,

for gaming on a Windows virtual install, over ubuntu, how could I improve my performance? Ubuntu lags very much when I have Windows loaded period, without any moderately needy programs running. With, though, it's laggy beyond compare. It's like my virtual machine takes over, even though the resources are split down the middle. And you know, I don't need to use two OSs at once, but it would be convenient. And also, I want to guard against Windows programs and games lagging too.

I was considering getting another gig or two of RAM, bumping it up to 2 - 3 gigs. I have an AMD dual core 3800, and an nVidia 7900 gs w/256 mb of memory.

Any tips or suggestions?

Also ... I gave the virtual Windows install 512 mb RAM, 128 mb video memory -- and 1 core. I don't know if two would work.. and I don't want to cause a crash.

Thanks!
    Last edited by madtyper; October 14th, 2008 at 05:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Virtual Desktop Performance Hints (needed)

Moved to Virtualization

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Virtual Desktop Performance Hints (needed)

That idea with more RAM is very good, as it seems now you don't have enough for both Ubuntu and Windows at once. I will say give 1 GB of RAM to the virtual machine. But in this situation, any memory allocated to Windows will not be available to Ubuntu, so probably this is why you have somewhat poor performance. You can also try to give the virtual machine two cores and see the difference, after resolving the memory issue. More video memory is necessary only for a few games (128 MB should be enough for most of them).
    Last edited by Liviu-Theodor; October 14th, 2008 at 12:02 PM.
    The Odor
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending small a degree of it. -- Thomas Jefferson
    Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.