Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I'm going to London for a few days.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: I'm going to London for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.propre View Post
    what should i really visit?
    Under no circumstances go to The London Dungeon or Madame Tussauds, they're dire.

The London Eye is good, but with the weather turning to autumn you might not get a nice day. I'd say go for a stroll along the South Bank. The walk from the Tate Modern up towards the city is nice, and there's plenty of places to eat and drink.

Toppest Tip: Get an Oyster card. It will save you a LOT of money if you use public transport (which everyone does). Oyster fares are generally about half what the cash price is.

Generally though, the parks are good, as are all the museums in Kensington (Natural History Museum, Science Museum, V&A).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

try open-source?

wikitravel
    londonfreelis

but London has big Gay spacs as well

and watch out for the thiefs, those say u can make some your urine saving for throw on them thief and police see the urine knowing who is.
    Last edited by directcharitycontribution; October 16th, 2008 at 01:43 AM.

Beans

Perhaps buy a ticket for one of those tourist bus companies like The Big Bus Company. It stops by all major tourist attractions and you can get on and off whenever you like.

If you're looking for something less touristy go to Camden Market - there is so much variety. Perhaps visit the Docklands in the east of London. Its a newer area of the city and I found it to be cleaner and better looking than other parts. Lots of good views as well. Also make sure you visit Covent Garden, lots to do there, though it is a bit crowded on the weekends.

If you're not going very far away, try using the nearby buses (they are everywhere). I'm talking about the public buses (red ones) not the one i mentioned before. Its a lot less stuffy than travelling underground, plus you can see the views. Sitting top deck on the double decker buses is the preferred option, especially the front seats.

Beans

True enough, you can enjoy the view sitting in a double decker! But you've got to be careful when you go upstairs/downstairs -especially when the bus brakes- it is sometimes So dangerous.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Red face Re: I'm going to London for a few days.

I recommend going to Buckingham Palace and 10 Downing Street. And Big Ben - the largest clock in England - next door to the Houses of Parliament.

"All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Hidden!

if you're into contemporary art, the new saatchi gallery just opened the other week *ducks*

also, a francis bacon exhibition is on at the tate britain (not the same as the tate modern. rothko is on at the tate modern right now).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by rax_m View Post
    - Last time I was there a starbuck "tall" mocha was in the region of £2.00
    I think it's about that up here, so I'd expect it to be a bit more than that in London now.
    My home page

Member of the Esoteric Order of LaRoza - Resistance Is Futile.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Go to The Monument. I enjoy visiting it, and it gives a pretty good view of the city. It's free to climb if you can handle the 311 steps. It's outside the tube station aptly named 'Monument'.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thank you people for the reply's.

I'm also looking for a cheap buffet, if somebody would know one,please let me know, thanks.
    Last edited by mr.propre; October 19th, 2008 at 12:44 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

If you start having any withdrawal symptoms give me a shout and i`ll let you come install Ubuntu(or distro of choice).Just head for Eltham in Greenwich then find a street called "The Vista".......i live in the next street-ish

Shame you could`nt get out of London though,and up to Bonnie Scotland...oh well.
    Just joking,have fun.
    http://ubuntuclips.org/videos/4

For the lazy readers

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234