Thread: [SOLVED] Log in screen is huge, can't see log in fields anymore!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

[SOLVED] Log in screen is huge, can't see log in fields anymore!

I used EnvyNG to update my drivers for the 7600GS I have and once in Ubuntu everything is fine, the problem is the log in screen is huge! Down at the bottom right it says "Ubun" huge and no log in fields. I type my username and hit enter then do the same with the password and I get in but I can't see what I am doing and have no access to the Options that is normally at the bottom left. It is like it is mega zoomed in. How do I fix this?
    Ubuntu Studio 18.10 - i5-3470 - 8GB Corsair - Geforce GT 710 -
    Samsung 250GB SSD

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Log in screen is huge, can't see log in fields anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by GameGuru View Post
    I used EnvyNG to update my drivers for the 7600GS I have and once in Ubuntu everything is fine, the problem is the log in screen is huge! Down at the bottom right it says "Ubun" huge and no log in fields. I type my username and hit enter then do the same with the password and I get in but I can't see what I am doing and have no access to the Options that is normally at the bottom left. It is like it is mega zoomed in. How do I fix this?
    envy will sometimes not put you at the right resolution.

Try this.

Code:
     sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    Select the right resolution and the correct driver "nvidia" I believe.

Look to see what video driver you are currently using first by opening the following file

Code:
     gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Should look something like:

Code:
    Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
    	Driver		"nvidia"
    	Option		"NoLogo"	"True"
    EndSection
    Last edited by Delvien; October 13th, 2008 at 09:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi GG

If all else fails, you can try what has worked consistently for me to fix the Log In screens. Article shown below!

TTUL
    Gary

Huge Log-in Screen? Easy fix!
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

From a Noob for fellow Noobs!

Preliminary Note:
    FWIW: I did NOT have any luck using StartUpManager from Synaptic. Editing /etc/usplash.conf xres and yres was unnecessary as they were already correct. Neither dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg nor update-initramfs -u worked either to correct the HUGE Log-in screen problem.

This is from a total Noob, but took much research to find out exactly, what changed where, to figure it out. It's also fairly long because it is geared toward big dummies like myself, hi hi.....

A Simple Test:
    If you return your monitor to the original default settings, you should find that your log-in screen once again works right. This was the CLUE to finding out which file controlled the log-in screen for me!

How to change screen resolution (not using Properties) is in another document titled “Screen Resolution Problems? Easy fix!” This too might cause log-in screen obesity!

Being a Noob, there may be an easier faster way to do this, but this is what consistently works for me.

The following changes are made using the “ROOT TERMINAL”.

The Terminal in Applications/Accessories does not work for me. No Permission when you go to save!
    If you do not have the Root Terminal under Applications/System Tools, then RIGHT CLICK on Applications, select Edit Menus (by left click) and a Main Menu will appear shortly. In Main Menu (under Menus) select System Tools and the screen (titled Items) to your right will change. Place a check mark in the box to the left of Root Terminal and select CLOSE. The Root Terminal will now appear as a selection when you select Applications/System Tools.

NOW, Select the Root Terminal. Before the Root Terminal Opens you will have to Log-in as Administrator. This is your NORMAL log-in! Why it doesn't ask for Root Log-in I have no idea.
    Even though it shows you are IN Root, you will notice that you are still in your /home/name/ directory. If you try to open the required file from here, you will get a blank screen so DON'T save it, Close without Saving.

At the prompt type cd .. this will take you back to your /home directory.
    Type cd .. again and you will be in the ROOT Directory and can perform the following command.

Note that the X is a capital letter, all others are lower case! It's X Eleven not XII.

gksu gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf This will open your xorg.conf file for editing.

SAFETY OPTION: Right Click on File, select SAVE AS (left click). Add .old behind the filename xorg.conf so it reads xorg.conf.old, then Right Click on SAVE. You will now be VIEWING the saved file so select Right Click on the OPEN Icon and select xorg.conf to reopen the working file for changes. You can always revert back to the original file by saving it as xorg.conf without the word .old behind it. End of Safety Option.

Scroll down (near the bottom) and you will find a line titled Section “Screen”, tabbed in twice you will find a line that reads Virtual followed by two sets of digits. You should recognize these digits as being common screen resolutions.
    Be very careful here! It's better to be safe than sorry.
    You may notice a High screen resolution listed here, one your monitor cannot recognize, like 1792 1344 (which defaults to 640 480), or it may be very low, like 640 480 already. My desired screen resolution for the log-in screen is 1024 768 so those are the numbers I chose to replace the numbers.

DO NOT delete the existing numbers yet. They appear to me to be in placeholders is why!

For safety reasons. Place your cursor after the first digit of the first existing number and if different from the first number already listed, type the new single digit then move left one space and delete the first number, then move back right and enter your remaining numbers, then delete the old numbers from behind it. If you are going from 1792 down to 1024, just place your cursor between the 1 and 7 and type 024 then delete the 792 ONLY. I still use this method if I'm going from 640 up to 1024, placing the cursor between the 6 and 4 as my starting point, typing the whole number 1024.
    OK, move to the second number, it may be 1344 and you want 768. Use the same method here too! Place your cursor between 1 and 3, type 768, delete the 344, move left and delete the leading 1.

This may be an unnecessary overkill way of doing it. But why take chances when we're only Noob's?

Go to the top of the Screen and Select SAVE, then wait for a bit to make sure it saved before exiting the gedit program.

This has worked on all Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron machines I have tried it on in my testing!

FWIW: I did NOT have any luck using StartUpManager from Synaptic. Editing /etc/usplash.conf xres and yres was unnecessary as they were already correct. Neither dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg nor update-initramfs -u worked either to correct the HUGE Log-in screen problem.

The above was tested on the following machines with complete success:
    HP Pavilion 753n, 2.53GHz Intel P4, 512mb, Intel 82845G/GL video card.
    e-machines T4165, 1.6GHz Intel P4, 256mb, AGP 3D video card.
    Compaq 5420, 1.47GHz Athlon XP1700, Savage 4 AGP video card.
    e-machine T6524, 2.30GHz Athlon 64-3500+, ATP Radion Express 300 video card.

TTUL
    Gary/aka Kellemora
    9/10/08 – rev 9/15/08

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

thanks, this worked perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellemora View Post
    Hi GG

If all else fails, you can try what has worked consistently for me to fix the Log In screens. Article shown below!

TTUL
    Gary

Huge Log-in Screen? Easy fix!
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

From a Noob for fellow Noobs!

Preliminary Note:

This is from a total Noob, but took much research to find out exactly, what changed where, to figure it out. It's also fairly long because it is geared toward big dummies like myself, hi hi.....

A Simple Test:
    If you return your monitor to the original default settings, you should find that your log-in screen once again works right. This was the CLUE to finding out which file controlled the log-in screen for me!

How to change screen resolution (not using Properties) is in another document titled “Screen Resolution Problems? Easy fix!” This too might cause log-in screen obesity!

Being a Noob, there may be an easier faster way to do this, but this is what consistently works for me.

The following changes are made using the “ROOT TERMINAL”.

The Terminal in Applications/Accessories does not work for me. No Permission when you go to save!
    If you do not have the Root Terminal under Applications/System Tools, then RIGHT CLICK on Applications, select Edit Menus (by left click) and a Main Menu will appear shortly. In Main Menu (under Menus) select System Tools and the screen (titled Items) to your right will change. Place a check mark in the box to the left of Root Terminal and select CLOSE. The Root Terminal will now appear as a selection when you select Applications/System Tools.

NOW, Select the Root Terminal. Before the Root Terminal Opens you will have to Log-in as Administrator. This is your NORMAL log-in! Why it doesn't ask for Root Log-in I have no idea.
    Even though it shows you are IN Root, you will notice that you are still in your /home/name/ directory. If you try to open the required file from here, you will get a blank screen so DON'T save it, Close without Saving.

At the prompt type cd .. this will take you back to your /home directory.
    Type cd .. again and you will be in the ROOT Directory and can perform the following command.

Note that the X is a capital letter, all others are lower case! It's X Eleven not XII.

gksu gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf This will open your xorg.conf file for editing.

SAFETY OPTION: Right Click on File, select SAVE AS (left click). Add .old behind the filename xorg.conf so it reads xorg.conf.old, then Right Click on SAVE. You will now be VIEWING the saved file so select Right Click on the OPEN Icon and select xorg.conf to reopen the working file for changes. You can always revert back to the original file by saving it as xorg.conf without the word .old behind it. End of Safety Option.

Scroll down (near the bottom) and you will find a line titled Section “Screen”, tabbed in twice you will find a line that reads Virtual followed by two sets of digits. You should recognize these digits as being common screen resolutions.
    Be very careful here! It's better to be safe than sorry.
    You may notice a High screen resolution listed here, one your monitor cannot recognize, like 1792 1344 (which defaults to 640 480), or it may be very low, like 640 480 already. My desired screen resolution for the log-in screen is 1024 768 so those are the numbers I chose to replace the numbers.

DO NOT delete the existing numbers yet. They appear to me to be in placeholders is why!

For safety reasons. Place your cursor after the first digit of the first existing number and if different from the first number already listed, type the new single digit then move left one space and delete the first number, then move back right and enter your remaining numbers, then delete the old numbers from behind it. If you are going from 1792 down to 1024, just place your cursor between the 1 and 7 and type 024 then delete the 792 ONLY. I still use this method if I'm going from 640 up to 1024, placing the cursor between the 6 and 4 as my starting point, typing the whole number 1024.
    OK, move to the second number, it may be 1344 and you want 768. Use the same method here too! Place your cursor between 1 and 3, type 768, delete the 344, move left and delete the leading 1.

This may be an unnecessary overkill way of doing it. But why take chances when we're only Noob's?

Go to the top of the Screen and Select SAVE, then wait for a bit to make sure it saved before exiting the gedit program.

This has worked on all Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron machines I have tried it on in my testing!

The above was tested on the following machines with complete success:
    HP Pavilion 753n, 2.53GHz Intel P4, 512mb, Intel 82845G/GL video card.
    e-machines T4165, 1.6GHz Intel P4, 256mb, AGP 3D video card.
    Compaq 5420, 1.47GHz Athlon XP1700, Savage 4 AGP video card.
    e-machine T6524, 2.30GHz Athlon 64-3500+, ATP Radion Express 300 video card.

TTUL
    Gary/aka Kellemora
    9/10/08 – rev 9/15/08
    Ubuntu Studio 18.10 - i5-3470 - 8GB Corsair - Geforce GT 710 -
    Samsung 250GB SSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

when your problem is solved, please mark your thread as solved, by clicking thread tools (top right) and then mark thread as solved.
    blog ~~~ last.fm ~~~ twitter ~~~ digg
    Just so you know, everywhere else on the internet, I am known as mynameistux
    Its just a bunch of 1's and 0's.