Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hardy can't access windows shares

Beans

Re: hardy can't access windows shares

Quote Originally Posted by Ocxic View Post
    you'll have to setup virtualbox network in a spicific way in ourder to get that to work, it has to deal with the way networking is setup for the virtual machine, check the virtualbox manual for details.
    The network in virtualbox is not a problem, it works fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Here is another guide I though you would like:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202605

Beans

Unhappy Re: hardy can't access windows shares

OK, my attempt from the terminal nets the results below, it's better than the gui, but still no joy

user@ubuntu:~$ smbclient -L shttle1
    Password:
    Domain=[SHTTLE1] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Sharename Type Comment
    --------- ---- -------
    IPC$ IPC Remote IPC
    download Disk
    ADMIN$ Disk Remote Admin
    C$ Disk Default share
    Domain=[SHTTLE1] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Server Comment
    --------- -------

Workgroup Master
    --------- -------
    user@ubuntu:~$ smb://192.168.0.102/download
    bash: smb://192.168.0.102/download: No such file or directory
    user@ubuntu:~$

end result? I can see my shares but I still can't access them. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Glen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Techie

Maybe that's because one has to view the problem as a Noob to figure it out!

When the engine runs rough and continually dies, a noob puts more gas in the tank, the tech tears the engine apart.

I have 7 computers here, had a whale of a time trying to get the network working properly. Tried every single thing the guru's said to try, but nothing worked.

Knowing my smb.conf file was perfect I did the least obvious thing to try.

I just uninstalled and reinstalled Samba until the Network did work properly.
    On some computers, it worked the first try, on others, well as they say, three times a charm.

When the smb.conf file from a machine that works perfectly reads identical to one that don't work at all, you're looking in the Wrong Place for a fix.

Everybody laughed, but those who tried uninstalling and reinstalling Samba, well, for us, our networks are up and running perfectly.
    Those who didn't, well, they are still working on the problem, hi hi.....

One other thing interesting is that in Ubuntu, we can see the shares on other drives, such as CentOS, Debian, etc. no problem. Never got it to do that from those other Distro's though.

TTUL
    Gary

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

This is an incredibly longstanding and annoying bug. It's not a problem with samba or networking - it's got to be a nautilus bug. Fire up dolphin or some other KDE file browser and the shares appear just fine. I've been looking for a solution for this for some time and the only solution seems to be to dump nautilus because the guys at Gnome and/or Ubuntu can't seem to be bothered to fix this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by ArtInvent View Post
    This is an incredibly longstanding and annoying bug. It's not a problem with samba or networking - it's got to be a nautilus bug. Fire up dolphin or some other KDE file browser and the shares appear just fine. I've been looking for a solution for this for some time and the only solution seems to be to dump nautilus because the guys at Gnome and/or Ubuntu can't seem to be bothered to fix this.
    I agree. Far from being the super reliable, dependable operating system that I have been telling my friends, and anyone else who'd listen, that it was, since Hardy I have to stand there looking sheepish with a grey screen, as it crashes. Then ask them if they wouldn't mind moving the files onto my laptop for me, on their XP machine, as I can't.

Ubuntu seems to be getting more and more like Windows used to be, they seem more intent on rushing out new versions, rather than fixing the problems with the old ones. The advice these days always seems to be 'Updrade as the new version doesn't have these problems', except invariably it has a whole host of others.

I don't think this bug will be fixed, at least in Hardy, which is a shame.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12