Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading from Mandriva 2008 Spring to 2009

Beans

Upgrading from Mandriva 2008 Spring to 2009

Is this possible in Mandriva, or do I have to do a fresh install? If so, how do I go about it? I've been using Mandy for about a year now but have always done a clean install when a new one comes out, and never even bothered to check if I can just do a system upgrade.

Let me know. Thanks in advance.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans

Re: Upgrading from Mandriva 2008 Spring to 2009

That's funny! you ask in a Ubuntu forum stuff about mandriva! that's silly, Mr BigSilly!!!

However, mandriva 2009 is really beautiful! a pity ubuntu is not so good looking.
    Cheers!!

Beans

yes it is possible.
    I successfully updated my spring desktop and my spring sub-notebook to 2009.0 using the wiki. Note however that both machines were using KDE3.5.9 and were upgraded to KDE 3.5.10 NOT KDE4 (I didn't want them to have KDE4). I think if you use the upgrade feature on the DVD/CD, it will upgrade you to KDE4 if you currently use KDE3.

The update wiki I used is here: http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_N...om_2008_Spring
    Last edited by Antman; October 13th, 2008 at 12:57 AM.

Beans

I did an upgrade from 2008 spring to 2009 via the web. It took a long time though, 5+ hours!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fabietto0102 View Post
    That's funny! you ask in a Ubuntu forum stuff about mandriva! that's silly, Mr BigSilly!!!

However, mandriva 2009 is really beautiful! a pity ubuntu is not so good looking.
    Cheers!!
    Erk! Well I am registered on the Mandriva forums, but I knew the Mandy fans on the Ubuntu forums would be quicker to answer.

Thanks for your replies dudes. I think I'll just do a clean install then. I don't see the point hanging around for 5 hours and over trying to update when a clean install takes 10 minutes.

Thanks again.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpus View Post
    I did an upgrade from 2008 spring to 2009 via the web. It took a long time though, 5+ hours!
    Ouch... 5 Hours?!?!?
    My urpmi upgrade was only about 45minutes or so, but I had the full spring DVD version installed, so about 1300+ packages needed to be downloaded and upgraded.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Antman View Post
    Ouch... 5 Hours?!?!?
    Well the PC in question is a six year old HP Pavilion with a 667MHz Celeron processor and is powered by a team of specially trained gerbils.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpus View Post
    Well the PC in question is a six year old HP Pavilion with a 667MHz Celeron processor and is powered by a team of specially trained gerbils.
    Ok... that explains it.

Beans

It's likely more the speed of the mirror you're downloading from than the speed of your system.

There is indeed a graphical in-line upgrade from 2008 Spring to 2009 (this is a new feature, we've never done it before). As I announced at the official forum, we temporarily disabled it late last night for a few days to fix some bugs that had become apparent once it got made public - mostly to do with mirrors being un-sync'ed or very busy, or with systems not having enough hard disk space to complete the upgrade.
    Adam Williamson | http://www.happyassassin.net
    Fedora QA Community Monkey

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AdamWill View Post
    It's likely more the speed of the mirror you're downloading from than the speed of your system.
    I am sure that plays a big part but believe me this is a slooooooow PC. Apart of the steam powered CPU the hard drive is living on borrowed time. You should see the HD activity LED flash when it is doing even the simplest of processes. I think if it wasn't for the fact I have all my data on an external HD it would have given up the ghost long before now.

Having said all that, it can run the latest Mandriva perfectly fine, I don't think XP would have a chance far less Vista!
    Last edited by Vulpus; October 14th, 2008 at 07:20 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast