Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Upgrading from Mandriva 2008 Spring to 2009

Beans

Re: Upgrading from Mandriva 2008 Spring to 2009

So far it's been all good to be honest. A couple of bugs with KDE4 on the panel. Well one bug, the clock went a bit funny coloured at one bit, but it's fine now and otherwise OK. Couple of things though; firstly how do I get Firefox to open fullscreen when I start it? I'm having to manually maxixmise the window every time I start it. And secondly, how do I add my favourite programs to the panel? I tried adding Thunderbird but it won't let me, and right clicking the Thunderbird entry in the K Menu just starts the program. There's no context menu on the right click.

Thanks all.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans

per Drag&Drop.
    Go the menu, click with left mouse button, hold it and drag it in the panel.

Alternative:
    Switch to the Kick-Off Menu (right click to the menu-button and choose the KickOff-Stil). There you can create a new panel entry with the rightclick method.

Regards,

Beans

Thanks for your tips TeaAge, however it's all gone wrong.

Was resizing the panel, and it sent the screen into fits. I had one bit of panel on top of the screen bleeding up from the bottom, and the screen just went completely white. Tried to reset to defaults, couldn't find an option, and tried manually reversing my changes, which didn't work either. So, gutted, I ctrl-alt-backspace and log back, only to find my panel is completely bozzed up, with items I'd added missing. After a bit of faffing about I thought, bugger it, and decided to install KDE3.5.10, which is OK for the most part, but I got a message about -
    Code:
    urpme --auto-orphans
    I have been trying to run this command, but I'm getting the error message -
    Code:
    urpme - command not found

What to do? I mean, I've been using Linux for a bit and I at least have a vague idea of where to look, but what would someone new to Linux do? My gut feeling is yet again this is a KDE4 issue, similar to one I experienced on OpenSUSE 11 a while ago.

It's a pity Mandy couldn't include KDE3 as default and just draw people's attention to KDE4 in the repository as a new look or something. As it is I'm a bit upset right now, as my usuallly stable and beloved Mandriva hates me. Any help anyone can offer, or should I just wait for PCLOS?
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans

Try:
    Code:
    urpmi --auto-orphans
    I agree with you about KDE 4. Well, I use it and havn't had big problems, but many funtions are missed. I also installed KDE 3.5 und GNOME, to have a fallback.

The Community tries to provide a KDE 3 LiveCD, maybe thats a workaround until 2009.1 with a perfect KDE 4.2 Desktop ... hey, hope never dies!

Regards,
    TeaAge

Beans

Blimey, what a few hours I've had with this. Figured out urpme --auto-orphans (run it as root or it won't work), but it just completely hosed my install. It removed some KDE3 packages that were essential, and I didn't notice until it was too late. I like the idea of a removal system like Ubuntu's and Debian's, but this obviously needs some serious work. KDE4 was gone, and sadly so was my KDE3, so I've just formatted the partition and used Super GRUB Disk to reset my Ubuntu GRUB menu. Back as I was, then.

Really gobsmacked at Mandriva 2009 to be honest. I couldn't honestly recommend it to any non-Linux user as I could 2008. It'll frighten them half to death if they have the issues I've had with KDE4. Maybe Spring next year it'll be worth a look, but for me KDE4 is the root of a lot of problems for a few distros right now, and I don't think I'll bother with it until maybe well into next year. It's just not ready is it?

Hopefully PCLOS will have a new version out pretty soon, and I'll give that a go. I'll tune back into Mandy in the Spring. I'm quite sad about that.

Beans

Well, why not just do a KDE 3 install instead?

You can do a net install, or install One GNOME then install task-kde3, or just wait for a bit, the community KDE 3 One CD should come out quite soon.
    Adam Williamson | http://www.happyassassin.net
    Fedora QA Community Monkey

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AdamWill View Post
    Well, why not just do a KDE 3 install instead?

You can do a net install, or install One GNOME then install task-kde3, or just wait for a bit, the community KDE 3 One CD should come out quite soon.
    Ah right. I'll keep an eye out for that then. I was going to download the Gnome CD today, but I'm a bit ill so I'll just hang on for the community CD. Thanks.

Beans

OK, with my sheer bloody mindedness in place, I've decided to re-install KDE4 Mandriva 2009. This time, I'm just going to stick with it and see where it goes. Got it all back up and running, I know not to use the auto-orphans feature, and I'm quite happy at the moment.

I'll strap myself in and hope for the best this time!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123