Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading from Mandriva 2008 Spring to 2009

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Upgrading from Mandriva 2008 Spring to 2009

I've always had better luck doing a clean install with all the OSes I've used. Something always borks for me when I do an upgrade.

Beans

vulpus: indeed, a slow hard disk will cause the process to take rather a bit more time, you're right there.
    Adam Williamson | http://www.happyassassin.net
    Fedora QA Community Monkey

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vorian Grey View Post
    I've always had better luck doing a clean install with all the OSes I've used. Something always borks for me when I do an upgrade.
    Alas, this has proved the case for me.

Got back from holiday, and just thought "why not?", so I followed the wiki guide earlier in the thread and hoped for the best. Took nearly three hours, as halfway through the mirror seemed to slow right down, but when it came to rebooting it looked good for a moment. New GRUB screen, new art, but no OS. Tried safe mode, and got a warning about NVidia. So I'm going to have to do a clean install. I'll hang on till the .iso turns up on my next Linux Format mag and install it afresh then.

Never mind! Faint heart never won fair maiden etc, etc...
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans

aw, c'mon, don't chicken out. =)

what was the warning?
    Adam Williamson | http://www.happyassassin.net
    Fedora QA Community Monkey

Beans

Can't remember now. Something to do with the Nvidia kernel driver or whatever. Never mind, I've formatted the partition now and I'll clean install just as soon as I get my hands on the new iso.

It'd better be good!
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fabietto0102 View Post
    That's funny! you ask in a Ubuntu forum stuff about mandriva! that's silly, Mr BigSilly!!!

However, mandriva 2009 is really beautiful! a pity ubuntu is not so good looking.
    Cheers!!
    Feh KDE4 is only good for overly dark wallpapers and themes
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

I like the look of KDE. A dark theme is really nice on the eyes. Mandriva certainly has the best default theme

Beans

Meh, sod it. I decided to download the iso today instead of waiting for the magazine, and have just installed it. It's merrily updating at the moment as I type, and there's a lot of updates for such a recent distro, but I take that as a good sign. On very early impressions, it's just lovely. KDE4 isn't getting on my nerves yet, so we'll see how Mandy copes with that in the long term, but I have a feeling this implementation may be what I wanted from it.

I do so love Mandriva. I'm predisposed to liking it before I've installed the beggar! Hopefully this'll be a good one. It has a lot to live up to. The 2008 releases have proven to be the very best Linux has to offer imho.

Will post back later.

Beans

Hehe, I was impressed too. The main thing I don't like about KDE4 is the desktop doesn't work like it did in KDE3.5.x and the taskbar didn't have two rows (although you can fix the latter by

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...?content=83177

Personally I used Krusader to copy and paste the files from the .deb archive rather than compile lol

Beans

You find apt-get in the repos
    But I never test how good it works.

KDE 4.2 will be impressive I think. In Cooker you find KDE 4.1.71 and there you can make your Desktop act like a real desktop

Regards,
    TeaAge

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast