Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: suse is microsoft?

Beans

Re: suse is microsoft?

i guess about the only way to have a clear conscience would be to buy a machine without an OS on it, install gnu hurd and then try to come up with something to do with it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by glotz View Post
    If they don't want me to use their software, they had better not use the GPL license. Maybe do some reading on copyleft.

And regarding opensuse... it's their testing platform, just like Fedora is for Red Hat. I had no beef with Novell prior to the deal, probably ditto for many opensuse developers.
    Ok, so you hate openSUSE and won't use the distro but you're fine with using their products? Makes sense.

Beans

If you're saying steer clear of anything Novel then Linux is not for you. There's Novel stuff in the actual Kernel and a lot of major applications

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chucky chuckaluck View Post
    i guess about the only way to have a clear conscience would be to buy a machine without an OS on it, install gnu hurd and then try to come up with something to do with it.
    But what about the hardware on the machine? What kind of licenses does that have?

Beans

Maybe this guy should take a look at this lengthy list..
    http://www.novell.com/company/affiliations/

Beans

Thanks for posting that, I was looking for that to post here earlier.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by chucky chuckaluck View Post
    firmwares (bios, sound card, graphic card and wifi) would be still proprietary Unfortunately there is no running from non-free software *yet*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Talking Re: suse is microsoft?

Quote Originally Posted by esaym View Post
    oh, I thought the title said "sue microsoft" I was coming in to sign my name...
    lol! to answer your question, I have seen Youtube movies that show the "MAc vs. PC" commercials, but they have Linux in them, and Linux is supposed to be like mac in the mac commercial, where "she" (Linux) is all hip and relaxed, and it is a total diss on Microsoft, so I bet they do not gain anything from it...

Best regards,
    3v4n
    HP pavilion dv 6910us, 2.0 GHZ AMD turion 64 X2, 3 GB of RAM, Nvidia GeForce 7150M.
    cool tongue dude!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vince4Amy View Post
    If you're saying steer clear of anything Novel then Linux is not for you. There's Novel stuff in the actual Kernel and a lot of major applications
    Steer clear of their distro is the correct way, Microsoft have nothing on upstram stuff from Novell, it's their distro Opensuse which bears their mark of microsoft.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Left View Post
    Steer clear of their distro is the correct way, Microsoft have nothing on upstram stuff from Novell, it's their distro Opensuse which bears their mark of microsoft.
    Yes but Novell has involvement with so much including the actual Linux kernel (Which is NOT Specific to OpenSUSE, it's any distro which uses these things), so you may as well avoid Linux as a whole if you hate Novell.

OpenSUSE Is an Awesome distro. I always recommend it to new Linux users.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast