Thread: How well does SQL Server and .Net work in Wine?

Beans

How well does SQL Server and .Net work in Wine?

If you are doing some MS programming for a living, working by the hour at home on your own computer, is it worth the trouble to get .Net and SQL Server Express running on wine, or would it be easier just to spend $500 and order a cheap windows computer from Dell for the project?

Let's say you are getting $50/hour and it is an ongoing project, maybe 500 hours a year, will you save more than 10 hours time by getting a windows computer rather than using Wine?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: How well does SQL Server and .Net work in Wine?

Quote Originally Posted by tc101 View Post
    If you are doing some MS programming for a living, working by the hour at home on your own computer, is it worth the trouble to get .Net and SQL Server Express running on wine, or would it be easier just to spend $500 and order a cheap windows computer from Dell for the project?

Let's say you are getting $50/hour and it is an ongoing project, maybe 500 hours a year, will you save more than 10 hours time by getting a windows computer rather than using Wine?
    Looking at the AppDB entry for just the MSDE version, it doesn't look like it works at all.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ation&iId=3610

If you're intent on using SQL Server rather than something like sqlite then you're probably better off just using Windows.

Beans

If you're intent on using SQL Server rather than something like sqlite then you're probably better off just using Windows.
    asdfoo is online now Report Post
    It's not my decision. This is a legacy system that just needs maintenance. It was built with SQL Server and ASP.

Beans

Why not use virtualbox and setup a windows xp virtual machine?

Beans

Someone else suggested that. I don't have a copy of XP but I guess I could get one. How hard is it to set up virtual box?

The more I think about this project I really hate the idea of dealing with Microsoft and windows products again. The money is good and I can work at home though, so I am tempted. I am undecided right now.
    Last edited by tc101; October 12th, 2008 at 04:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by tc101 View Post
    Someone else suggested that. I don't have a copy of XP but I guess I could get one. How hard is it to set up virtual box?

The more I think about this project I really hate the idea of dealing with Microsoft and windows products again. The money is good and I can work at home though, so I am tempted. I am undecided right now.
    Using Virtualbox is as easy if not easier than having the actual hardware, it probably performs best (near perfect for me) on Intel core2 cpus or similar from AMD, if you have an older cpu you might find it less responsive. It has useful features such as snapshotting, so incase you want to preserve the state of your system before trying an upgrade you can do so then roll back if something goes wrong.