Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What have I done with my packages?

Beans

Question What have I done with my packages?

Ok, I've been a Windows user for years, so bear with me.

I noticed after I cleaned out some packages, incomplete and/or orphaned, I guess, that many of my games no longer run. I can completely uninstall them and re-install them, and they still do not run. I thought they might grab the packages they need again with the package manager, but they don't fix themselves.

I do not know exactly what I have done. Ubuntu is different than Windows, but I do like many things about it.

I've lost most of my screen savers too.

But, many programs run just fine. I have also installed programs from the package manager, only to have them not run at all, or have them not listed in "Applications."

How do I get things back to where they were? Why don't the packages I need, get installed back on the machine with uninstall and reinstall? Shouldn't it find them? Remember, explain things thoroughly, I have been a Windows user.

Troy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: What have I done with my packages?

How did you clean out the packages? Do you have any broken packages listed in Synaptic Package Manager-->Edit-->Fix Broken Packages?

Jim

Beans

I followed some advice from the net on how to clean up Ubuntu. I used the terminal some. (I don't understand it as easily as I do command line in Windows.) My system was acting weird. Some PDF file seemed to be the culprit. I think I did try to "fix broken packages."

Troy
    Last edited by thonaker; October 11th, 2008 at 01:37 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

hard to know from what you have described.

What error messages are you getting with your games ?

Do you have a link to the "how-to" you were following ?

In general, software or package management is very different on Ubuntu then Windows. Dependencies are handled "automagically" so any needed applications should not have been removed.

Of course when you "force" apt-get to do something you can have problems.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

I think this is the link.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/cleaning-u...in-ubuntu.html

I didn't get all the way through all the stuff. Not everything seemed to work right for me.

Troy

Beans

Start off with to see if it fixes anything or outputs anything:
    sudo apt-get check

After that is done, find the name of a package that isn't working. I don't know what games aren't working, so let's just pretend it was gedit that isn't working - run a:

sudo apt-get install --fix-broken gedit

Replacing gedit with whatever isn't working and see if that makes any difference in being able to run the application.

Post back with the details of what happens

Beans

First command gave me this

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done

So far no difference.

The second command, I'm working on Open Arena to see if I can get that fixed. I'll get back in a bit to let you know what happens.

Ok, so the second command you gave me ended up replacing the data files for Open Arena, it upgraded them. Still, when I try to start the program, I just get a quick flash of the screen and nothing more happens. My first person shooters all do not work, if that helps. So far, looks like all the games that came with the OS work. And as I have said, in times past, some things I have installed from the Package Manager simply do not work. The update manager tells me frequently that my system is out of date even though I'm not.

Troy
    Last edited by thonaker; October 11th, 2008 at 07:37 AM.

Beans

You guys got anything else I can try? Surely I wouldn't have to re-install? I get the idea, Linux folks try not to do that. Many things are running fine.

Troy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Actually more then a few of us re-install. I know for me I learn by doing and that means at times I get to a point where tons of stuff is broken or not working and its just damm easy to re-install. So far since I've started (June '07) I've done about 10 re-installs.

You could try re-installing "Ubuntu-desktop" on your present system, just a hunch.

Beans

You may be right. Something broke, I just don't know how to get things back. Funny thing is Virtual box just quit working yesterday. Silly. I just had it running.

I guess I could back everything up and start over. Windows is sometimes easier to do this way as well. It beats wasting hours trying to fix the problem. I just don't know Linux that deep.

Troy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast