Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WebcamStudio for GNU/Linux: All the news on the project!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: WebcamStudio for GNU/Linux: All the news on the project!

Quote Originally Posted by patrickballeux View Post
    Ok, you are using Mint... Maybe the lapdsa plugin is not part of the gstreamer0.10-plugin-bad in Mint.

I am currently using Ubuntu 8.10 so maybe it is part of the new version only... My version of gstreamer-plugins-bad is 0.10.8-1. What is your version?

In a terminal, run this command:

Code:
    gst-inspect ladspa-delay-5s
    If it say that it does not exists, then it means that this plugin is not part of your gstreamer-plugins-bad...

So we need to figure out how to install this module in Mint.

Have a look in your repositories if this plugin could be available under another package name.

EDIT: I just saw that I installed ubuntustudio-audio-plugins so it means that I have a lot of plugins normally not found in regular Ubuntu... I also found that there is a package named ladspa-sdk that seems to provide the plugin that could be used by gstreamer-plugins-bad... Install that package to see if it would work.

Let me know!

OK, that EDIT was usefull, because I did not have the ladspa-delay-5s, but maybe I will get it when I install the other stuff, will see...

...please wait while testing...

-ha-
    "Think for yourself; Question authority"

Beans

Version 0.31 is out!

Beans

Version 0.32 is out!

Beans

I've installed WebcamStudio 0.32. But, I still get this error message:

Error loading device: video0
    Error loading device capacity video0
    Exception in thread "Thread-5" java.lang.NullPointerException
    at webcamstudio.WebcamStudio.run(WebcamStudio.java:54 8 )
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
    I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon.

Beans

Hi Buzzstray

I haven't try WebcamStudio under Gutsy Gibbon, so you'll be my guinea pig

Code:
    Error loading device: video0
    Error loading device capacity video0
    For this, it would be ok if you don't have a webcam or if you loaded vloopback module before connecting your webcam. When scanning for video input, WebcamStudio is also scanning the vloopback virtual device which are alway returning with an error. Can you validate if /dev/video0 is a vloopback or an actual webcam?

Code:
    Exception in thread "Thread-5" java.lang.NullPointerException
    at webcamstudio.WebcamStudio.run(WebcamStudio.java:54 8 )
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
    This one does not make sense as it looks like you are trying to load a studio file that was not found (And thanks, you found a bug for me). Were you trying to load a Studio file on loading Webcamstudio (java -jar WebcamStudio.jar -studio foo.studio)? If that's the case, the the file you've provided was now found by WebcamStudio, make sure to provide the full path enclosed between "" if there is some spaces in the path...

If not, then I'll have to test using a vbox to find out what it not working. Make sure that you are running Java 6 and not Java 5 as your default Java. Have you started WebcamStudio using "java -jar WebcamStudio.jar" or "webcamstudio"?

We could do some investigation from there.

Let me know!

Beans

A guinea pig? Sounds not bad for me

/dev/video0 on my device is the ouput that's created by vloopback. And yes, I don't have real webcam. The reason of why I use WebcamStudio is for broadcasting video capture from my dv cam.

I run this program using java 6. Beside I run WebcamStudio from main menu, I also run this program using command line:
    java -jar WebcamStudio.jar
    But the error message still same.

Thx

Beans

Hi,

I just tested in Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) 32 bits, inside a virtual box with all updates, and beside the vloopback wizard that does not run (Zenity compatibility problem), everything works well.

I tried starting without the vloopback module loaded, but it works as expected. I really wonder why you have this error message.

Is 0.31 (or any other version) working? That could help me figure out what is not working...

Do you have a really fast computer? I am wondering if the fact of starting the virtual webcam as WebcamStudio is starting could end-up in a race condition.

You can prevent the webcam to autostart: In your home folder, put that xml into file "~/.java/.userPrefs/webcamstudio/prefs.xml"
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
    <!DOCTYPE map SYSTEM "http://java.sun.com/dtd/preferences.dtd">
    <map MAP_XML_VERSION="1.0">
      <entry key="LAF" value="javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalLookAndFeel"/>
      <entry key="autostartwebcam" value="false"/>
      <entry key="dividerlocation" value="469"/>
      <entry key="height" value="624"/>
      <entry key="outputsize" value="0"/>
      <entry key="textbackground" value="java.awt.Color[r=0,g=0,b=0]"/>
      <entry key="textbackgroundint" value="-6750208"/>
      <entry key="textcolor" value="java.awt.Color[r=235,g=247,b=31]"/>
      <entry key="textcolorint" value="-6684673"/>
      <entry key="valign" value="1"/>
      <entry key="width" value="1005"/>
      <entry key="x" value="567"/>
      <entry key="y" value="59"/>
    </map>
    The "autostartwebcam" set to false should get you further when loading...

Let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by buzzstray View Post
    A guinea pig? Sounds not bad for me

/dev/video0 on my device is the ouput that's created by vloopback. And yes, I don't have real webcam. The reason of why I use WebcamStudio is for broadcasting video capture from my dv cam.

I run this program using java 6. Beside I run WebcamStudio from main menu, I also run this program using command line:

But the error message still same.

Thx

Beans

I've run WebcamStudio without vloopback and there no error message at all. This the output description of vloopback from dmesg command:
    Code:
    Linux video capture interface: v2.00
    vloopback: Video4linux loopback driver v1.1.2
    vloopback: Loopback 0 registered, input: video1, output: video0
    This vloopback came from flashcam package. Almost all version of vloopback works good while the input video come from pipe, where the pipe is a result of combination ffmpeg and mjpegtools_yuv_to_v4l.

I also have tried version 0.31. It doesn't working as well. Still outputing the same error message.

My computer spec is Intel Dual Core 2.8 GB with 512MB RAM. 128MB video adapter's RAM.

You're XML code has been copied to the mentioned file. And, still no luck for me.

Thx a lot...
    Last edited by buzzstray; November 12th, 2008 at 05:08 PM.

Beans

This is a real mistery

EDIT: When you start WebcamStudio without the module loaded, do you see the WebcamStudio icon in your system tray? You should see a small icon and when you click on it, you have a menu to start/stop the webcam.

EDIT2: I think I found the problem... If you don't see the tray icon of WebcamStudio, then that why it is crashing. If forgot to check if the trayIcon object was initialized. Normally, it would be set on all system, but in your case, that could be part of the problem... I'll wait on your answer about the tray Icon and make a special version for you to test my fix.

EDIT3: I just found out that SystemTray with Java 6 < update10 is not well supported if Compiz is enabled... Is Compiz enabled on your desktop? If so, try without Compiz. The Java 6 => update 10 has solved this issue... (Next release of WebcamStudio will deal correctly with this...)

I see that you are using vloopback 1.1.2. Have you tried using 1.1.3 instead. I cannot use 1.1.2 on my setup since it won't compile at all (That's why I worked on 1.1.3).

Actually, I don't think it will make it work, but my tests under 7.10 were made with 1.1.3 and not 1.1.2... Maybe something changed a little.

But you've narrowed the problem to the output to vloopback, so I have a better idea where to look now.

Using version 0.32, start it without the vloopback module driver loaded. Then go in the option menu, and uncheck "autostart webcam". Close the WebcamStudio, load the vloopback driver and start again WebcamStudio. Tell me what you see then in the "Virtual Webcam" tab. Can you see the "Vloopback Input Device" in the list?

If so, then start the virtual webcam and have a look at the terminal, tell me if you see the number 4 or 8 when starting and any error messages.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buzzstray View Post
    I've run WebcamStudio without vloopback and there no error message at all. This the output description of vloopback from dmesg command:
    Code:
    Linux video capture interface: v2.00
    vloopback: Video4linux loopback driver v1.1.2
    vloopback: Loopback 0 registered, input: video1, output: video0
    This vloopback came from flashcam package. Almost all version of vloopback works good while the input video come from pipe, where the pipe is a result of combination ffmpeg and mjpegtools_yuv_to_v4l.

I also have tried version 0.31. It doesn't working as well. Still outputing the same error message.

My computer spec is Intel Dual Core 2.8 GB with 512MB RAM. 128MB video adapter's RAM.

You're XML code has been copied to the mentioned file. And, still no luck for me.

Thx a lot...
    Last edited by patrickballeux; November 12th, 2008 at 11:43 PM. Reason: added test fo tray icon

Beans

Hi Andre,

Here is a small java code that I want you to run. This will tell me if System Tray is supported in your desktop. See attachement.

Uncompress in a folder, run "./testtray.sh" from a terminal.

It will compile the TestTray.java source code and run the java class. This will tell us if you have System Tray support.

Bonus: In case you are not able to compile, use the .class and run "java TestTray" from the same folder.

Let me know...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast