Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: WebcamStudio for GNU/Linux: All the news on the project!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: WebcamStudio for GNU/Linux: All the news on the project!

Quote Originally Posted by ilanesh View Post
    Hi, I have tried it, and need to use it with my webcam, but I can not find any option on it for webcams in sources, I have seen it on others but not on mine. Can anyone help me -please? I click on "sources" and there is only ,
    desktop, dv, image, free text, irc, animation, movie, youtube, movie stream, movie viewer, playlist, and widget. But where is: "webcams"?
    It is missing. So I can`t choose it. I need it for video on flash webpage.
    Just FYI, anytime you post to forums for any OS, best to provide specifics on stuff like webcams. Otherwise, I have no idea if your webcam is compatible or not.

Assuming its something like a Logitech cam, see the attached images in the following order.

1) start.png (On the left side, pull the vertical bar out so you can see the sources list. Click on devices to expand, select webcam...assuming its compatible)

2) double-click.png (Once your cam is selected, double click it to make the screen appear like this. Then click the universal symbol for play. |> )

3) viewer.png (Assuming your going to need to see if the camera is working, Output>Show Preview will be the next thing to do.

For help with Ustream (when it's not down like today), go here.
    http://www.ws4gl.org/download/installing-on-ubuntu

Remember that your Flash camera source is vloopback, NOT the webcam when at the ustream streamer. Browser must be closed when starting and setting up WebcamStudio. Start browser only after step three above.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ctsdownloads View Post
    Actually, it's rather easy in v0.56. I have tested this with avi and other video rips that all work out of the box.

As for WMV files, again tested it with this file by downloading it and testing it as follows.

1) Source> Movie>
    2) pull down to "all files"
    3) browse to wmv downloaded. test_wmv.wmv
    4) click open
    5) Under controls tab, hit the > play/pause button.
    6) Preview it by using Show preview.
    That's useful - thanks! Worked perfectly with the test wmv, unfortunately WebcamStudio crashed when I tried it with an MPEG. Still - promising.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lonegroover View Post
    That's useful - thanks! Worked perfectly with the test wmv, unfortunately WebcamStudio crashed when I tried it with an MPEG. Still - promising.
    Should work with most any popular media container. Crashing indicates something with how the media was encoded that WebcamStudio didn't like. Running WebcamStudio in a terminal would give you some insight as to what happened when the MPEG crashes the software I bet.

Beans

Thanks. The following invocation of mencoder has been used to encode the files I use for 'fake webcam' purposes:

(eg)

Code:
    mencoder -nosound inputfile.wmv -ofps 15 -o filename.mpg \
                -ovc lavc -vf pp=de,scale=320:240 \
                -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video -of mpeg
    So MPEG2 video, no audio, 15 fps. It doesn't actually "crash" WebcamStudio in that sense; it just makes it freeze, so that it has to be ctrl-c-ed.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112