View Poll Results: Which of the following is closest to your situation?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have ordered a Dell Mini with Ubuntu

16 16.49%
  • I have ordered a Dell Mini with XP

0 0%
  • I am planning to order a Dell Mini Ubuntu in the future

16 16.49%
  • I am planning to order a Dell Mini XP in the future

0 0%
  • I may order a Dell Mini Ubuntu later, depending on (fill in the blank)

20 20.62%
  • I may order a Dell Mini XP later, depending on (fill in the blank)

0 0%
  • I have or plan to get a non-Dell netbook

13 13.40%
  • I have no use for netbooks right now or in the near future

16 16.49%
  • I'm not sure how netbooks fit into my near future

14 14.43%
  • Other opinion (please explain)

2 2.06%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Have you ordered a Dell Mini Inspiron 9?

Beans

Re: Have you ordered a Dell Mini Inspiron 9?

OK , I have looked at them , and other "netbooks" , what heck does netbook mean , it can only be used on the net , hmmm not a good marketing name , but I digress

My impression is they are small ,and relatively limited in application, basically a large PDA. I feel they will be like Tablets , a passing fancy that will soon pass.

I had considered getting one of these things as I thought it would be good to take with me on my wheelchair , but it has to have some uses to justify the purchase, its just that I cant come up with any.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

LaRoza,

"And it is very sexy. I walked into RadioShack with it, and all the HP's started drooling."

NICE imagery ROF

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    OK , I have looked at them , and other "netbooks" , what heck does netbook mean , it can only be used on the net , hmmm not a good marketing name , but I digress

My impression is they are small ,and relatively limited in application, basically a large PDA. I feel they will be like Tablets , a passing fancy that will soon pass.

I had considered getting one of these things as I thought it would be good to take with me on my wheelchair , but it has to have some uses to justify the purchase, its just that I cant come up with any.
    Netbooks is, INDEED, a bad name. I prefer "mini laptop". Mine is, for all intents and purposes, a computer. Yes, it can hook up to the web, either by Ethernet cable or wireless, but it also has USB ports that allow me to transfer files manually between it and my desktop, and may have the ability to go VPN (I'm still working on that). It's got AT LEAST as much power and ability as the P-III/750 I had (and replaced with a Dell desktop) with the added advantage of being portable. It is DEFINITELY not a PDA, nor limited, especially if one adds memory and size of the SSD to the original mix.

Beans

Why on earth have they nobbled it with XP Home ? It kills them

Really if these things are to take off there needs to be a specific OS written for them , something in between Windows Mobile and Windows XP

I know Ubuntu can do them proud , but in reality that will scare a lot of High street buyers off them. They will buy them once with XP , hate it and thus the concept will die

I think the makers have rushed these onto the market and have not given good consideration to the OS . Its a shame

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I just ordered:

ASUS Eee PC 1000HA 10-Inch Netbook (1.6 GHz Intel ATOM N270 Processor, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, XP Home, 6 Cell Battery)

and will put ubuntu-eee on it

2008 WORLD EFFING CHAMPION PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
    "I'm the guy who does his job. You must be the other guy."

Ubuntu 8.10 x86_64, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, nVidia GeForce 8600GT

Beans

I'm planning on either buying a Mini 9 or a more powerful Dell Ubuntu laptop. Although, that iKit looks really cool
    http://blogs.computerworld.com/call_...s_a_cell_phone

Beans

I disagree. I agree they are small, and somewhat limited. They are fully functional computers however. They are testing the waters with them now. Some are very small, some have more, etc. There is a Dell 910 model I hear that has a 12" screen or something. Sure, not all the original versions will make it to the future, but I think the concept of a small, relatively inexpensive highly portable and affordable computer will be here to stay.

So, I predict laptop's the size of portable DVD players or slightly larger will be around for a long time. I make no predictions otherwise, except they will need to be inexpensive compared to other laptops.

Why on earth have they nobbled it with XP Home ? It kills them
    Not all do It has Ubuntu, which is very well done (although, the Dell bar is out of place).

Really if these things are to take off there needs to be a specific OS written for them , something in between Windows Mobile and Windows XP
    I think Dell did a good job with Ubuntu. The XP models probably have it stripped down or otherwise customised. XP runs well (fresh install) on 256 MB of RAM in my experience, and the netbooks can handle that.

I know Ubuntu can do them proud , but in reality that will scare a lot of High street buyers off them. They will buy them once with XP , hate it and thus the concept will die
    I think people won't be using them as regular PC's and the lack of Windows will give them an advantage. Most people don't know or care what OS is on their devices, such as cell phones and routers, as long as it works. I think the use of Ubuntu on the Dell 910 gives a good place for people to use it. It isn't on their desktop where they are used to Windows and it is on a new device. It is the least scary way to have people use it.

I think the makers have rushed these onto the market and have not given good consideration to the OS . Its a shame
    Barring the Dell 910 with Ubuntu (remember, Dell sells other computers with Ubuntu as well), I think the others have Linux issues. However, they would need to see a market for the hardware before writing or designing a specific OS for it.

Beans

Here in NZ they are only offering them with XP Home and the same I believe in Australia

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/prod...n&s=dhs&~ck=mn

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    I think the others have Linux issues.
    Asus = Xandros = yuck
    Acer = Linpus Lite = modded Fedora = yuck
    HP & MSI = Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop = yuck

Dell & Toshiba (NB100) = Ubuntu = yummy!

Apart from the Dell and Toshiba the best bet is possibly to buy an Xp netbook and install the distro of your own choosing as a dual-boot.

I think the netbook has it's place and will continue to sell strongly.

Beans

Here in NZ they are only offering them with XP Home and the same I believe in Australia

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/prod...n&s=dhs&~ck=mn
    Sauron has spies everywhere, especially in NZ.

I am sad for you. I see Linux in the USA a lot now.

Quote Originally Posted by gn2 View Post
    Apart from the Dell and Toshiba the best bet is possibly to buy an Xp netbook and install the distro of your own choosing as a dual-boot.

I think the netbook has it's place and will continue to sell strongly.
    Or to buy a Linux one (to show the manufacturer their is an interest, and not have money sent to Microsoft) and install whatever you want.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast