Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Hauppauge HVR-2250 With Mythbuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Hauppauge HVR-2250 With Mythbuntu

Thanks for the work eternicode!

Some notes for people wanting to upgrade or install a fresh copy of Mythbuntu or MythTV:

1. I just did a fresh install of 11.04 and I had some odd issues appear while trying to use MythTV. The 2250 is recognized, but but fails to open. Oddly if the system is upgraded from a previous working release the system works correctly.
    2. You shouldn't need to compile the driver, but adding only the firmware seems to do nothing to get the system working, but like I said earlier, upgrading from a previous working version runs fine.
    3. If you wish to use Ubuntu over Mythbuntu, realize you cannot use Unity. You will have to run Ubuntu in classic mode with no desktop effects. Desktop effects can cause MythTV to not run correctly in full screen mode. Blame Compiz.
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Beans

Greetings LowSky,
    I was hoping you could help me out before I pull all my hair out (not that it would be a big loss)
    I started trying to get my HVR2250 on Ubuntu 10.10 (started a week ago, first experience with any Linux). I could not tell you the any terminal read outs from that version because I had no idea how to do it. This thread you are responsible has help me come a long way. The problem I had was the card would seam to install, I could select the card as a DVB card but could not enter a device number and it never seamed to be recognized by Myth backend setup
    I updated to 11.04 thinking that if I was going to the hassle of setting this up, might as well be current.
    Of course I new I would be opening up Pandora's Box it a distro that is only 3 days old (I was thinking a lot of issues may have been worked out in Bata).

Anyway, it looks like my driver is looking for the analog firmware (from what I can tell)

dmesg output:
    Code:
     [   12.550038] ata6: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300) 
     [   12.550055] saa7164_downloadfirmware() no first image 
     [   12.550063] saa7164_downloadfirmware() Waiting for firmware upload (NXP7164-2010-03-10.1.fw) 
     [   12.628063] saa7164_downloadfirmware() Upload failed. (file not found?) 
     [   12.628065] Failed to boot firmware, no features registered 
     [   12.888117] ata6.00: configured for UDMA/100 
     [   12.889721] ata6: EH complete
    Also, the card is recognized (lspci):
    Code:
     05:00.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7164 (rev 81)
    I do get an error when running the “make CONFIG_DVB_FIREDTV:=n” Command
    Code:
     make[1]: Entering directory `/home/wazupy/saa7164-stable/v4l' 
     creating symbolic links... 
     make -C firmware prep 
     make[2]: Entering directory `/home/wazupy/saa7164-stable/v4l/firmware' 
     make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/wazupy/saa7164-stable/v4l/firmware' 
     make -C firmware 
     make[2]: Entering directory `/home/wazupy/saa7164-stable/v4l/firmware' 
     make[2]: Nothing to be done for `default'. 
     make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/wazupy/saa7164-stable/v4l/firmware' 
     Kernel build directory is /lib/modules/2.6.38-8-generic/build 
     make -C /lib/modules/2.6.38-8-generic/build SUBDIRS=/home/wazupy/saa7164-stable/v4l  modules 
     make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.38-8-generic' 
       CC [M]  /home/wazupy/saa7164-stable/v4l/tea575x-tuner.o 
     /home/wazupy/saa7164-stable/v4l/tea575x-tuner.c: In function 'snd_tea575x_init': 
     /home/wazupy/saa7164-stable/v4l/tea575x-tuner.c:334:3: error: implicit declaration of function 'kfree' 
     make[3]: *** [/home/wazupy/saa7164-stable/v4l/tea575x-tuner.o] Error 1 
     make[2]: *** [_module_/home/wazupy/saa7164-stable/v4l] Error 2 
     make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.38-8-generic' 
     make[1]: *** [default] Error 2 
     make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/wazupy/saa7164-stable/v4l' 
     make: *** [all] Error 2
    But I don't know the reason.

Sorry for the long post, but being a FNG, I don't know what is important.

Thanks in advance ,
    Brian

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi Brian,

I am having no luck getting this card to work on 11.04 from a fresh install.

I ran into a few issues and decided to install 10.04 then install the driver and firmware, then upgrade to 10.10 then to 11.04 and currently things seems to work fine.
    I know for many that does not sound like a good way of doing things, but downloading the LTS (10.04) and following my instructions does seem to work.

I believe the problem is a change in the name of a few files and folders of the newer distro and kernel. When you upgrade those older files stay in place and work alongside the new stuff. When you install fresh the files are not there and we seem to have issues.

I am thinking of trying another distro to see if the issue is just localized to Ubuntu and its forks like Mythbuntu.
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

First off, thanks to LowSky for the excellent instructions and help.

I just did a clean install of 11.4, on both my frontend and backend, and followed LowSky's updated instructions from post 379 of this thread, installing firmware from the terminal, and then his classic instructions from post 212, beginning with the reboot and backend configuration.

And it all works perfectly! I'm not new to linux, but i'm far from an expert, and i have botched these same instructions many times before. But for whatever reason, it worked fine for me. I used the mythbuntu live cd for the backend, and the standard ubuntu live cd with the mythbuntu install secondary for the frontend. no problems.

for whatever its worth.

Edited to add: unity works fine with mythfrontend once you enable compiz legacy fullscreen support - http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...03&postcount=9
    Last edited by smontclair; May 2nd, 2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Edited to add: unity info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Wazupy, try using my repo (details here). I recognize the errors you pasted from my bughunt (no promises, though).

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    I believe the problem is a change in the name of a few files and folders of the newer distro and kernel. When you upgrade those older files stay in place and work alongside the new stuff. When you install fresh the files are not there and we seem to have issues.
    The recent kernel changes have changed some variable names (no file names afaik) and made some library imports explicit that used to be implicit -- so I bet you'd find the same problem on any distro with a 2.6.38 kernel.

I'm thinking previously compiled drivers are probably forward-compatible with the newer kernels, that's why things haven't broken (yet?)
    Ubuntu User # 19829
    DON'T hard-shut-down your computer until you've tried Alt+Print Screen+REISUB!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I get the repeating message on shutdown sometimes when my 2250 goes brain-dead. You can see the message in /var/log/messages or /var/log/kern.log. They are likely about to fill up all available space on your drive if you leave it long enough. If you start getting thousands of those 7164, there is nothing to do but power off. Before you can remove one of the giant log files
    Code:
    sudo service rsyslog stop
    You can fix the unavailable resources for recording by adding an upstart rule. It's fixed in the next version, but you can add it yourself by changing this line near the top of /etc/init/mythtv-backend.conf
    Code:
    start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE=lo and started udev-finish)
    You can see this article for background info

Beans

Eternicode,
    Thank you so much! Your code worked!
    Thanks for all the help (LowSky too!)
    Now to fine tune my setup

I don't know if you tried it, but the “build your own fractal antenna” really works great. It cost me all of $3 to build a HD antenna that works great (gets all my channels).
    Wazupy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hmmm conflicting reports of the card working with the 11.04 without modifying files.

OK I really need a spare PC and 2250 to test things out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I'm just getting started using Ubuntu. I have been using Windows 7 Media Center as a PVR with a Hauppuage 2250 card. It works well, but I've recently purchased a Sony Bravia 55ex720 and Win7 MC now displays recordings in fits and starts.

I thought Ubuntu with Mythtv might be a workable substitute. I have an additional 2250 card so would like to set it up to use both cards. I'm new to Ubuntu so have been trying to follow the various threads and glean installation instructions for the 2250 cards and Mythtv. I think I've been more successful in getting confused than informed.

From what I've been able to gather, there's no Analog driver support for the 2250. Is that true? If it's out there, where can I find it and how do I install it? (remember: Newbie) Once I get the driver installed, how can I test it? If I can get one or both 2250's working what are the next steps to get Mythtv set up? I understand that there's a backend server, which would be the PC with the 2250 cards, and a frontend, which would be a PC used to access the recordings and display on the TV. Are there (simplified) instructions for setting them both up?

As I said, I'm new to this and have a singular purpose in mind so any instruction will be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jeb1248 View Post
    From what I've been able to gather, there's no Analog driver support for the 2250. Is that true? If it's out there, where can I find it and how do I install it? (remember: Newbie) Once I get the driver installed, how can I test it? If I can get one or both 2250's working what are the next steps to get Mythtv set up? I understand that there's a backend server, which would be the PC with the 2250 cards, and a frontend, which would be a PC used to access the recordings and display on the TV. Are there (simplified) instructions for setting them both up?

As I said, I'm new to this and have a singular purpose in mind so any instruction will be greatly appreciated.
    Do you really need analog support? Its use is dying, most people get there channels from digital sources. There is some support for it, I just can't speak for it.

Here is the link to my instructions for Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=212

If you pay attention to the last few post, you can then upgrade easily to 11.04 and have a perfectly fine working system.

Not to gloat but my instructions are probably the easiest out there. If you need help send me a PM

Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast