Thread: [SOLVED] Apple keyboard issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

[SOLVED] Apple keyboard issues

Hi

I have some issues with my white apple keyboard from early 2007, which is in Norwegian.

By default in system -> keyboard Norway Macintosh - eliminate dead keys is used with the model Generic 105-key (Intl) PC.

This works all right, but does not allow me to use characters where I have to use the right option button. I miss out on characters like ~ and \ .

When I choose keyboard Norway Macintosh still under model Generic 105-key (Intl) PC, my keyboard works like I want it too, including the right option button.

The problem is that if I change my keyboard to Norway Macintosh and remove Norway Macintosh - eliminate dead keys, and then reboot my system, system -> keyboard will once again show Norway Macintosh - eliminate dead keys. The change does not survive the reboot.

On the other hand, if I add Norway Macintosh in addition to Norway Macintosh - eliminate dead keys, and reboot my system, my keyboard will type strange characters at all of the strokes I give it. When I do this and change back to Norway Macintosh - eliminate dead keys, that option works as it should, but I have to add Norway Macintosh over again to be able to use the right option key.

My xorg.config reads:
    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "no"
    Option "XkbVariant" "mac"
    # Option "XkbVariant" "mac_nodeadkeys"
    (...)
    I replaced the line in that now has the hash with the line that reads Option "XkbVariant" "mac" . This gives me ? in terminal when I try to use the right option key, where the "mac_nodeadkeys" gives me nothing.

I hope somebody can give me a hint in the right direction. Thanks for reading.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Apple keyboard issues

I got around the problem today;

I updated my xorg.config using:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
    It came out looking like this:
    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "no"
    Option "XkbOptions" "lv3:ralt_switch"
    Following the last line I added this line:
    Option "XkbVariant" "mac"
    When I rebooted, the keyboard worked like I want it too, including use of the right option key.