Thread: Ram

Beans

Question Ram

if i was to exit everything right now my ram wouldnt change much according to the monitor, but when i start up its in the 100's, what way can i empty my ram and swap without restarting and everything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Ram

You can try to log out and log back in. Try to kill some unnecessary process (but, be careful not to kill important system daemons, etc). Or you can try a lighter desktop enviroment or window manager (Openbox, Fluxbox, Xfce, etc..)

Blog | I'm available for programming contributions. C & Python.
    Intel Core i7 920 | EVGA x58 SLI | NVidia GeForce 8600 GT | WD 500GB HDD | Corsair XMS3 3GB | Ubuntu 9.04

Beans

i was looking more of for a program like clear ram in which you type the value of the amount of ram you want cleared and it loaded the system up with 0's until the os cleared enough ram

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Many different Ubuntu programs use the same tools, such as the gecko rendering engine.

If you are short on RAM, I would recommend Xubuntu.
    If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway. . .
    I like Unity.

Beans

Ubuntu uses your ram for cache to make your computer run faster. There is no reason to "clear out" your ram. If you open up a new application that needs that ram, it will dump the cache and free the space for the new application. It's a waste to have lots of ram and not use it!

If you want your system to use less ram on startup, OutOfReach's suggestion to use a lightweight windows manager is a good one.

Beans

This program might help you out. I've never tried it myself, but looks promising

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...memdump.1.html

Beans

Trust me (and snowpine). There is no reason to want to dump your ram clean. That is something silly utilities are made for on WinXp that do not help any thing (and if they do, it is a flaw in the systems memory management to begin with).

Linux caches all unused ram for future use which improves performance. It will certainly pull something out of swap if it needs to. Generally even if you are starved for ram it will use the currently running task with a lot of speed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release