Thread: [SOLVED] How to mount encrypted, LVM volumes?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

[SOLVED] How to mount encrypted, LVM volumes?

EDITED to reflect wanchai's comments and additions

Dealing with encryption and LVM from a live cd.

This is more for future refrence, I know I will have to deal with these disks from a live cd sometime. I currently have an encrypted file system that uses lvm. I have no idea how to work with these partitions! Right now I'm booted into a live cd, the file system was encrypted via luks (alternate install cd) I'm using twofish encryption.

Okay this was easier than I thought it was going to be, man pages are great.

/dev/sda1 is my /boot
    /dev/sda2 is my crypto partition
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install cryptsetup            # Installs the tools we need to deal with encrypted partitions
    sudo modprobe dm-crypt                      # Inserts a module we need
    sudo cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda2 cheer   # Unlocks the partition sda2 and names it cheer
    Enter LUKS passphrase: 
    key slot 0 unlocked.
    Command successful.
    #
    # Now that we have unlocked the encryption, it's just dealing with the lvm
    #
    #
    sudo apt-get install lvm2  # installs the tools we need
    sudo modprobe dm-mod       # inserts a module we need
    sudo vgscan                # Scans for all volume groups
      Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
      Found volume group "Ubuntu" using metadata type lvm2
    sudo vgchange -a y Ubuntu  # this made the VG Ubuntu active, if you don't give it a volume group as an argument it'll make them all active        
    sudo lvscan                # This command lists the logical volumes and their /dev path
      ACTIVE            '/dev/Ubuntu/Root' [15.00 GB] inherit
      ACTIVE            '/dev/Ubuntu/swap' [1.00 GB] inherit
      ACTIVE            '/dev/Ubuntu/home' [215.89 GB] inherit
    #
    # Now I mount them to do whatever it is I need to do, if you wanted to run a fsck on them you obviously wouldn't mount them.
    #
    sudo mkdir /media/root; sudo mkdir /media/home
    sudo mount /dev/Ubuntu/Root /media/root; sudo mount /dev/Ubuntu/home /media/home
    #
    # Now to reverse the process and unmount everything
    #
    sudo umount /media/root; sudo umount /media/home
    sudo rmdir /media/root; sudo rmdir /media/home
    sudo vgchange -a n Ubuntu 
    sudo cryptsetup luksClose cheer
    Last edited by jerome1232; January 9th, 2009 at 08:46 PM.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: [SOLVED] How to mount encrypted, LVM volumes?

Thanks for your post, solved my problem.

Why are you saying that you are not sure how to mount them? Your last line in the code box does exactly that.

More stuff for future reference:

If you have multiple disks with LVMs, for example the disk your OS is running on plus the USB disk you're trying to mount, then vgchange should get the volume name as an argument, for example:
    Code:
    sudo vgchange -a y testDiskVG1
    To un-do the whole thing, you need to unmount the logical volumes, then close the volume group and lastly close the encrypted partition. For example (using jerome1232's naming scheme):
    Code:
    sudo umount /media/root; sudo umount /media/home
    sudo vgchange -a n Ubuntu 
    sudo cryptsetup luksClose cheer

Another little problem I had: both my built-in disk and the external one used the same name for the volume group. In this case it's impossible to activate the second volume group. Use vgdisplay to see what you have. Important are the fields VG Name and VG UUID. Then you can use
    Code:
    vgrename oldUUID newName
    to make the names unique.

One last thing: when you plug in a USB drive with encrypted LVM partitions, Gnome pops up a dialog "Unlock Encrypted Data". When you use that, Ubuntu will do half the job. Do
    Code:
    ls -l /dev/mapper
    to see how far you got. You'll probably have to manually mount the partitions, and you certainly have to un-do things manually. Instead of something short, like 'cheer', this automagic ersatz cryptsetup gizmo will use a long, ugly name, but you'll see it in /dev/mapper.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Yeah I actually just worked it over before anybody responded with an answer, so I edited my post to reflect how I got it working in case someone stumbled on the thread looking for an answer I see I forgot to edit out a few things. I added some of your additions.
    Last edited by jerome1232; October 16th, 2008 at 03:26 PM.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

Beans
    Hidden!

Again, for future reference:

cryptmount after booting from Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop CD

Basically it works in the same way, but first you need to manually install packages cryptsetup and lvm2. Unfortunately, these packages are not on the Desktop CD, so you either need network access or have them on a non-encrypted disk.

Then you need to "modprobe dm-crypt". If you don't do the modprobe, cryptsetup openLuks will give you an error that sounds like "wrong password" (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...up/+bug/267192)
    Last edited by wanchai; January 12th, 2009 at 05:05 PM.

Beans

After having installed Kubuntu on my laptop using this tutorial, (which an almost identical setup to the one used in the explanation), I had become concerned about to do if I ever encountered problems and needed to boot from a live CD. This post cleared it out for me (worked in the first attempt, and was so much simpler of what I had imagined!)

Anyway, great work!
    Big thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by gauthma View Post
    Anyway, great work!
    Big thanks
    I'm glad it helped you

Quote Originally Posted by wanchai View Post
    Unfortunately, these packages are not on the Desktop CD, so you either need network access or have them on a non-encrypted disk.
    Good point I had never thought about if I was stranded without access to a repository, I think I'll be downloading these packages and putting them somewhere unencrypted/lvm'd.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by wanchai View Post
    Again, for future reference:
    cryptmount after booting from Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop CD
    Wanchai: what did you mean by this? Was this supposed to be a be a link to an article?

Beans
    Hidden!

John, it wasn't a link, just underlined text, changed it to bold, hopefully that's less confusing