Thread: Slow download!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question Slow download!

Hello all,

I'm having an issue downloading something on my Ubuntu laptop at home and I can't figure out how to solve it. I'm trying to download a torrent of something and its downloading at snails pace at the moment despite the fact that other video & audio files that I've downloaded from the same site have all been fairly swift.

Any ideas what might be slowing this down? Is it likely to be a straight-forward lack of storage problem (which I can resolve by getting an external hard drive to shift stuff on to) or could there be other reasons for it being so slow? (And when I mean slow I mean so slow that its akin to using dial-up in terms of a speed comparison!).

Thanks.
    Lorelei-

Life is a learning curve

Beans

Re: Slow download!

I assume you're not using dial up and it has lots of seeds, and not many leachers?

What client are you using for your Bittorrent?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have broadband, that's why its so frustrating. If I had dial-up it would probably have died completely!

At the moment I'm just using the standard Deluge that comes with Ubuntu as I'd have no idea where to start in terms of finding a new one. Any words of advice on that would be helpful too

As for the seeds vs leachers bit, I'd have to check (currently at work on a hideous Vista machine) but what you've said sounds about accurate from what I remember.
    Lorelei-

Life is a learning curve

Beans

Transmission is the new standerd client for 8.04.1 which I'm personally using. Perhaps try that one? I know BitTryant is another good one but I don't know how to install from source, so I can't help there.

Seeds and Leechers... and your ISP. You might have an internet provider that throttles your internet to make it slower. Check here to see if your ISP is on the list.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Personally i use the Deluge BT Client, it's cool.

Beans

It's most likely an unhealthy torrent.

Meaning the seeder/leecher ratio isn't good or they aren't many available.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

or many of the seeders are behind firewalls such as at a University that throttle the upload speeds (or they are on Comcast .. same story)

torrents can be a crap shoot as to speed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

www.speedtest.net

If you get good through speeds it's likely your network - especially if you are downloading from other torrents at high speeds.