Thread: [SOLVED] How do I NOT automatically mount my encrypted Private folder at startup?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question [SOLVED] How do I NOT automatically mount my encrypted Private folder at startup?

Howdy,

I am using the new 8.10 Intrepid Beta and I have installed the EncryptedPrivateDirectory. (By the way cheers on the great work I give you )

Every time I start my computer the Private folder is mounted automatically. I want to use this folder to store sensitive information and I also like having Ubuntu auto-login.

Is there a way to have it mount only when I want and have it request a password?

Thanks,
    Will

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How do I NOT automatically mount my encrypted Private folder at startup?

Howdy,

I posted in the Development area of the forum and this is what I have been told to do by taavikko:

Open [home folder], show hidden folders (contrl-H), move to the .ecryptfs folder, and then remove the automount & autoumount [text files]
    Regards,
    Will
    Last edited by willz06jw; October 20th, 2008 at 12:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How do I NOT automatically mount my encrypted Private folder at startup?

I removed both auto-mount and auto-umount from ~/.ecryptfs, and then graphical logins were no longer possible! I typed my user name and password, had to wait for 10-20 seconds, and then the login screen appeared again.
    I'm on Xubuntu 9.04, maybe this makes a difference?
    I'm going to try only removing auto-mount, maybe it works like that.
    m'enfin?!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Exclamation Re: How do I NOT automatically mount my encrypted Private folder at startup?

Quote Originally Posted by doncristobal View Post
    I'm going to try only removing auto-mount, maybe it works like that.
    It did _not_ work. Graphical login was impossible. So I cannot recommend removing any of these two files.

Is there any (other) way to stop ecryptfs-xyz from auto-mounting the private directory?
    m'enfin?!