Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hardware Upgarde Questions

Beans

Re: Hardware Upgarde Questions

so i can just give upon trying to put new technology in my current chassis.?

Beans

I agree. Laptops are different animals. It is very difficult to upgrade them beyond additional memory (up to the max that the motherboard is capable of recognizing -- with older laptops that might be as little as 512Mb to 1Gb) or a larger capacity hard drive. The rest of the components are difficult to upgrade.

Desktops are much easier. In fact, my first PC was an original IBM PC XT clone back in the 1980's. I have not bought a totally new machine since. I have upgraded it in stages to where it is now. I am pretty sure that there is nothing left of the original machine (MAYBE a cable or something, but I don't think so), but at no time did I go out an purchase a new machine. You can generally upgrade desktops as long as you wish.

Beans

So if i do get a desktop instead of a laptop could you pease name the possibilities of a good desktop compared to a laptop...

please also answer all my questions in my first message as if i were getting a desktop instead of laptop...

thanks alot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Something you have to understand. Laptops, in the main, are units that are HARD WIRED. They carry chips that do the functions such as sound, video, wi-fi. Drives are relatively easy to replace as is memory. CPU's. on the other hand, are NOT as the boards are usually specifically designed to run that CPU ONLY. You can do add-ons such as PCMCIA slot or USB items, but anything inside is not for someone without some serious soldering skills.

Desktops, on the other hand, come equipped with a mother board that, in many cases, is UPGRADABLE. You can up the speed of the processor, you can bypass the on board chips and install melt your eyeballs video cards that carry their own memory and processor, add sound that carries it's own memory and processor and will move furniture, make the unit wireless by installing a Wi-Fi card. (the options are somewhat endless depending on the expansion capabilities of the mother board.)
    You can even change out the mother board for a newer model, replace the power supply with a beefier one and so on.
    Every computer I have has gone the upgrade route. Buy a box (or get given one) that somebody thinks is worthless because Windows ate it. Remove Windows and install Linux (which will usually fix a supposedly bad hard drive) and start upgrading a piece at a time.

On laptops, the only thing that can usually be done is repair it (like putting a patch on a leaky bike tire tube.)

Beans

Ok great i know so much more now lol the only thing left is to please answer my questions... thx (answer as if i were talking about a desktop instead of laptop)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

-How long can I keep on upgrading my laptop's hardware

Until your board reaches it's specified limits. (hate to say this .. but the MANUAL for the motherboard will list those limits!)

-Does the OS have anything to do with upgrades

Only in Windows where some manufacturers will abandon support rather than write new drivers .. Creative being a prime example of that policy.
    Or in the "newest" versions of Linux that do not do legacy support of very old components (IE, Hardy not supporting very old VIA chipset based motherboards .. and justifiably so.)

-Which hardware components rely on each other and would need to be
    swapped in the event that i wanted to get a new component that depended on another

Processor FSB and Memory speed are inter tied
    Power supply and the amount of internal components and added cooling are inter tied.

-What cant be upgraded or are hard to upgrade (I'm guessing the screen, keyboard, and touch pad)

Not applicable to a laptop

-Are other laptops more upgradeable than others

same answer (but not really, most are not really upgradable)

-What are smart and necessary upgrade and which ones aren't.

Memory and storage (hard disk size) are usually the cheapest and most cost effective upgrades.
    You could add "maybe" to video card and display .. that depends on your budget. BUT upgrading from a CRT (tube) monitor to a LCD display is really a good way to go .. and monitors can be migrated to your next computer (as can lots of the internal plug in cards)

Any useful response will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks (thread continues on page #2 and maybe more later)

Therion is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    Ok great i know so much more now lol the only thing left is to please answer my questions... thx (answer as if i were talking about a desktop instead of laptop)
    What you don't seem to appreciate is that those questions don't have simple answers. Laptops are next to impossible to upgrade and not worth upgrading.

Desktops on the other hand, if you do the build yourself especially, are DESIGNED for upgradability.

HOW and WHAT you upgrade become "it depends" questions right away.

AMD or Intel proc, for instance? Until we know things like that (and that's just one example) it's pretty much impossible to continue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12