Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: OSX + Ubuntu + Fedora = is it possible ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Siena. Italy
    Beans
    67

    Question OSX + Ubuntu + Fedora = is it possible ?

    Hello All,

    I've Macbook 3.1 Gen.
    I need to have 2 linux distros on my hard disk + a DATA partition.
    Something like:


    1 partition | 2 partition | 3 partition | 4 partition | 5 partition | 6 par
    rEFIt OSX DATA(FAT32) Ubuntu Fedora SWAP


    Is it possibile ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Beans
    7,526
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: OSX + Ubuntu + Fedora = is it possible ?

    Quote Originally Posted by alinux View Post
    Hello All,

    I've Macbook 3.1 Gen.
    I need to have 2 linux distros on my hard disk + a DATA partition.
    Something like:


    1 partition | 2 partition | 3 partition | 4 partition | 5 partition | 6 par
    rEFIt OSX DATA(FAT32) Ubuntu Fedora SWAP


    Is it possibile ?
    Not like that. You could do:
    1. EFI
    2. Ubuntu
    3. Fedora
    4. Data
    5. OS X
    6. swap

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Siena. Italy
    Beans
    67

    Question Re: OSX + Ubuntu + Fedora = is it possible ?

    Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    Not like that. You could do:
    1. EFI
    2. Ubuntu
    3. Fedora
    4. Data
    5. OS X
    6. swap


    So you mean that I sohuld reinstall everything ?

    Actually my stuation is:
    1.EFI
    2.OSX
    3.DATA
    4.Fedora
    5.Ubuntu
    no swap

    And rEFIt sees only OSX and Fedora...
    If I try to recync, it rEFit tells me that there is nothing to sync.


    P.S Once I have a new 320 GB HD, for my Mackbook, in which sequence
    should I install them?

    1.EFI, then Ubuntu, then Fedora, +DATA(FAT), then OSX then SWAP ?
    or
    1.EFI, then OSX, +DATA(FAT), then Ubuntu, then Fedora

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Beans
    101

    Re: OSX + Ubuntu + Fedora = is it possible ?

    I have no idea what EFI is but anywho.

    You can have 4 primary partitions, those are gonna be OSX, fedora, ubuntu and data, swap can be an extended (logical) partion of ubuntu or fedora, and EFI.....

    I would first download gparted livecd, and partition my harddrive, with 2 ext3, 1 FAT32 and 1 OSX (dont know what it uses), then I would install OSX, then fedora and ubuntu( or ubuntu and fedora).
    ASUS F8P
    C2D T8100 3GB ram
    Radeon HD2400 256MB fixed up to 1534MB shared
    Ubuntu 8.10 64bit eyecandied to the bone, 8.04 32bit Vista home premium

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Beans
    7,526
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: OSX + Ubuntu + Fedora = is it possible ?

    Quote Originally Posted by alinux View Post
    So you mean that I sohuld reinstall everything ?

    .. rEFIt sees only OSX and Fedora...
    because everything else is beyond the fourth partition.
    Quote Originally Posted by alinux View Post
    If I try to recync, it rEFit tells me that there is nothing to sync.
    because there is nothing to sync. It can only sync the first four partitions...
    Quote Originally Posted by alinux View Post
    P.S Once I have a new 320 GB HD, for my Mackbook, in which sequence
    should I install them?

    1.EFI, then Ubuntu, then Fedora, +DATA(FAT), then OSX then SWAP ?
    or
    1.EFI, then OSX, +DATA(FAT), then Ubuntu, then Fedora
    The problem is that only the first four partitions can contain bootable 'legacy' operating systems, and one of those four are taken up by the EFI partition. OSX is not a 'legacy' operating system so it does not need to be one of the first 4.

    Actually, if you data partition is not going to be bootable (no windows or anything like that), then you can put is after the first 4 as well...

    1. EFI
    2. OSX
    3. Ubuntu
    4. Fedora
    5. Data
    6. swap

    Quote Originally Posted by Sponzenbroekske View Post
    I have no idea what EFI is but anywho.

    You can have 4 primary partitions, those are gonna be OSX, fedora, ubuntu and data, swap can be an extended (logical) partion of ubuntu or fedora, and EFI.....
    On Intel Macs, there is an EFI partition about 200MB in size at the beginning of the disc. removing it means no firmware updates for your mac.
    Last edited by cyberdork33; October 6th, 2008 at 08:42 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    London.ca
    Beans
    560

    Re: OSX + Ubuntu + Fedora = is it possible ?

    You didn't specify two things: (1) The order of OS install, not just partition layout (I'm assuming you installed Fedora after Ubuntu), and (2) Grub install location (Fedora uses Grub, right?).

    By default, both Fedora and Ubuntu will install Grub to the MBR. Refit boots, finds some EFI/OSX partition(s), and a MBR partition. Since you installed Fedora second (again, I'm assuming) the MBR Grub points to the Fedora partition, and bootstraps from there.

    I can think of a few things you might want to try:
    1. Set up Grub in both Fedora and Ubuntu to install to their Local partitions instead of the MBR. Refit might see two bootable partitions. I only have OSX+Ubuntu right now, but have installed Grub to sda3 instead of MBR and had it show up in Refit properly. (You'd likely have three linuxes show up due to the existing MBR record, you would have to clear this, though I wouldn't worry about it unless the other two work).
    2. Add entries to Fedora's grub config to boot Ubuntu. This is going to be a bit of a pain as it will break when Ubuntu has a kernel update. You could get Ubuntu to install Grub to it's own partition and set up chainloading, but by doing this you will have Ubuntu show up in Refit anyway, and not need any special Fedora config..

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Siena. Italy
    Beans
    67

    Question Re: OSX + Ubuntu + Fedora = is it possible ?

    Guys, first of all, thank you for your time!

    So I'm going to:
    backup my DATA(fat32) partition, and make something like this:

    /dev/sda1 EFI
    /dev/sda2 OSX
    /dev/sda3 Ubuntu with grub on /dev/sda3 (not on MBR)
    /dev/sda4 Fedora with grub on /dev/sda4 (not on MBR)
    /dev/sda5 1GB SWAP space
    /dev/sda6 a big DATA fat32 partition.

    Do you like it in this way?

    And what about boootable flags? In this way which one should have a bootable flag?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Beans
    7,526
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: OSX + Ubuntu + Fedora = is it possible ?

    Quote Originally Posted by alinux View Post
    Guys, first of all, thank you for your time!

    So I'm going to:
    backup my DATA(fat32) partition, and make something like this:

    /dev/sda1 EFI
    /dev/sda2 OSX
    /dev/sda3 Ubuntu with grub on /dev/sda3 (not on MBR)
    /dev/sda4 Fedora with grub on /dev/sda4 (not on MBR)
    /dev/sda5 1GB SWAP space
    /dev/sda6 a big DATA fat32 partition.

    Do you like it in this way?
    That should work, assuming you install the bootloaders to the root partition.

    Quote Originally Posted by alinux View Post
    And what about boootable flags? In this way which one should have a bootable flag?
    Create partitions for everything initially with DiskUtility in the OS X installer. Don't worry about the format as you can change it to the correct format when you install linux.
    DiskUtility will set the boot flag appropriately in the GPT (and don't change it because it will mess stuff up).
    The installers for your two linux distros should set the boot flag on the MBR side appropriately.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Siena. Italy
    Beans
    67

    Re: OSX + Ubuntu + Fedora = is it possible ?

    Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    That should work, assuming you install the bootloaders to the root partition.


    Create partitions for everything initially with DiskUtility in the OS X installer. Don't worry about the format as you can change it to the correct format when you install linux.
    DiskUtility will set the boot flag appropriately in the GPT (and don't change it because it will mess stuff up).
    The installers for your two linux distros should set the boot flag on the MBR side appropriately.

    Ok, I'll try it as soon as possible. Sorry but, what's GTP is ?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Beans
    7,526
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: OSX + Ubuntu + Fedora = is it possible ?

    Quote Originally Posted by alinux View Post
    Ok, I'll try it as soon as possible. Sorry but, what's GTP is ?
    GUID Partition Table. It is the "real" partitioning method that Intel Macs use. There is also a partition table in the MBR, but it is not the "real" partition table, but only maps 4 partitions to the GPT.

    I have a big article about this on my blog that goes into more detail:
    http://www.rickycampbell.com/the-int...m-efi-and-gpt/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •