Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Perfect VirtualBox Integration (auto start, rdesktop on workspace 2, etc).

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Perfect VirtualBox Integration (auto start, rdesktop on workspace 2, etc).

*Update:

I changed my VirtualBox setting to null audio and added the -rclipboardRIMARYCLIPBOARD -rsound to make sure the clipboard work and sound plays perfectly (only very minor delay when watching youtube videos on the Virtual Machine).

The following code start and stops the rdesktop to the VirtualBox Machine. Save it as rdesktop.sh somewhere and drag and drop to your gnome-panel for your convenience:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

#Check if rdesktop is running...
    if pidof rdesktop | grep [0-9] > /dev/null
      then
        #rdesktop is running, kill it...
        exec killall rdesktop
    else
      #Start rdesktop...
      exec rdesktop localhost:3389 -rclipboard:PRIMARYCLIPBOARD -rsound -DP -z -5 -xl

fi
    exit
    You may modify the launchXP.sh to launch this script instead...

Code:
    # now we can fire up rdesktop
    echo "Launching rdesktop session..."
    #You can launch in seamlessrdp mode if you want to...
    #rdesktop localhost:3389 -z -x l &
    sh /home/edmondt/rdesktop.sh &
    Domain and Hosting: http://www.biztoe.net
    Website Development: http://www.biztoe.com

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Perfect VirtualBox Integration (auto start, rdesktop on workspace 2, etc).

Thank you all

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

@ markba
    Excuse my English. These online translators are funny!
    My system: Host Ubuntu (Hardy), Guest WinXP (prof).
    Your way is the only one who works with me. Starting and Stopping go smoothly. What does not work, are the Number Buttons in the number pad? [+ - * /. enter] goes! This happens only via rdesktop. Do you have a idea, what's wrong?

Greetings from Switzerland
    Roland

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Highly informative thread, thank you!

Beans

Hi edmondt, thanks for your very informative thread. Just noticed, your script as-is won't work because your awk looks for port 4000 instead of 3389 as stated in the comments. Which is, I believe, the reason for the first respondent's problems.

Thanks again.

Beans

Hey, this may be a stupid question, but why would I want to run rdesktop along with virtualbox?

Beans

well I've been working on setting up my virtualbox to run TinyXP via this guide and I've run into a couple problems. like detroit/zero I ran into the "invalid machine name" while using edmondt's method, and I don't see where I might have missed changing the machine name.

I then switched to markba's instructions and now I seem to be randomly getting the "Connection Refused" message. Sometimes the TinyXP desktop appears perfectly, other times it gets the Connection Refused. although this could just be my lack of understanding of how markba's vboxtool works...

anyway, I'm confused on all the "tap0" stuff people have, I can't get that option to appear under host interfaces, even after trying the various modifications people have posted to /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/rc.local.

I set the network adapter for this VM to "NAT" since it worked on another windows xp vm I have on this computer, but I'd still like to understand the tap0 things better. what's the difference between the two options?

i tried googling tap0 and host interfaces but most of the sites i found left me more confused than when I started -_-

oh and since this is my first post on Ubuntu Forums, greetings everyone
    Last edited by Master_Legacy; March 26th, 2009 at 01:53 AM. Reason: updated question(s)

Beans

Hey guys, is this possible to extend this or any other seamless windows setup to several workspaces?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

@cacadu
    try adding -N to the rdesktop command

Code:
    exec rdesktop localhost:3389 -rclipboard:PRIMARYCLIPBOARD -rsound -DP -z -5 -xl -N
    other rdesktop commands can be found by typing
    Code:
    man rdesktop
    @corsakh
    did you ever find a solution for multiple workspaces?
    Last edited by mishkind; November 12th, 2009 at 01:37 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Re: HOWTO: Perfect VirtualBox Integration (auto start, rdesktop on workspace 2, etc).

Hey guys, I believe that there was an unanswered question that intrigues me too. Why would you want to use RDP to get asccess to the VM when you can just interact with the VM directly? What is the point of using a remote session? Advantages?

Thanks for the info!!

-Spydey

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast