Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] User rights on a Samba share

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: User rights on a Samba share

@Iowan

I definitely agree with you about the "hard" way being the way where you learn the most.
    In future I will be able to set up my shares manually.

But it is not bad for Linux when there are "easy" ways. A lot of people want easy and will stay with some pretty awful OS because it is easy.

A last question.
    If I want to give some one else rights on exactly the same directory but give them read and write - how do I do this? I understand that I have now given both max and neill read rights on this share. Do I set up an identical share with write rights and different users allowed?

Thanks!
    Neill
    I am a newbie. I have been for many years now. Sometimes I feel that I understand things, turn the corner and find that there is even more to understand.

Beans

Re: User rights on a Samba share

you could try creating another share with the same share folder link and setting read only to no and mentioning the users

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: [SOLVED] User rights on a Samba share

OK!
    Will do and get back to you with the results.
    Neill
    I am a newbie. I have been for many years now. Sometimes I feel that I understand things, turn the corner and find that there is even more to understand.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You can do it with the file/group permissions, but you'll have to remove "force user =" and "force group = " so not everyone that accesses the share is using that one username and group. Might also need to tweak the create mask and directory mask as well.

Adding another share to the same shared folder seems like a bad idea to me as there might be conflicts of some kind.
    "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes."

"or should I?"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There's another option called write list= that gives write permissions (supposedly overrules read-only). Another option is to create a group and include the group in valid users= or write list= - group membership would determine access. Again, the force user/group would interfere.
    Last edited by Iowan; October 10th, 2008 at 01:01 AM.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12