Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Automatically Resume from Sleep/Standby/Suspend

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

[SOLVED] Automatically Resume from Sleep/Standby/Suspend

I'm looking for a way to automatically resume from standby. I use crontab to use my computer as an alarm clock, and I'd like to be able to leave it in standby overnight. The problem is the task won't run if the computer is in standby. I've found a plethora of programs that offer this feature for Windows, but I can't find any way to accomplish this in Linux. I need a low-level program that will be able to resume the system from standby preferably at a specific time.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Automatically Resume from Sleep/Standby/Suspend

Bump.

Surely there must be some way to do this.

Beans

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/.../apmsleep.html

ive never used it myself.

i have no idea if there is a graphical front-end for it.

Beans

again, i have not tried this (on a public windows computer ATM, so i cant try it right now)... but, in theory i think

Code:
    apmsleep 05:30 -s
    will immediately put your computer in suspend until 0530. -S will do standbye. you may have to put "sudo" in front of it.

the easiest way to have that wake you up, i guess, would be to turn your speakers up and pick the sound you want to be your alarm as your login sound.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for. I prefer it without a graphical frontend. The only problem I have is that when I try to run it, the terminal informs me that:
    Code:
    apmsleep: Your kernel does not support APM.
    apmsleep: Recompile kernel with APM and /dev/rtc support
    Is there a guide to recompiling my kernel with APM and /dev/rtc support? I can imagine recompiling my kernel is no trivial task, but I'd really like to be able to use this.

Quote Originally Posted by earthpigg View Post
    the easiest way to have that wake you up, i guess, would be to turn your speakers up and pick the sound you want to be your alarm as your login sound.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. I have my system set to automatically log in on resume, so crontab should run the process that wakes me up properly. All I need is to find a way to make apmsleep work.

Beans

recompiling your kernel is indeed no trivial task. way over my head.

and hey, look at this bug report...

that being said, Ibex which is coming out on the 30th, will come with a new kernel version. i think.

so, maybe the problem will be solved for you at that point. we can hope.

edit: and ya, i wasn't thinking in my earler post about your login sound.

Beans
    Distro

Just to update, Intrepid Ibex does come with a kernel update, which unfortunately not only breaks my volume buttons but also doesn't solve the apmsleep problem. I have found a possible solution though.

Apparently TuxOnIce is a kernel patch that adds functionality to sleeping. I'm not sure if patching my kernel with it will allow me to use apmsleep or not, but it's the best thing I've found so far. I might try it, but I'm reluctant to patch my kernel without knowing what it will do. Here's the link: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Suspend2Kernel

I also found a way to enable apm on Ubuntu, but the guide is for version 4.10 (Warty Warthog), so I doubt it will actually work. Here's a link to that guide: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SuspendHowto

If anyone has apmsleep working, please let me know how you did it.

Beans
    Distro

I've made some progress in my search to enable apmsleep. I found this guide to recompiling a kernel:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubunt...ubuntu-kernel/

Unfortunately, I don't know how to enable /dev/rtc and APM. I found APM under:
    Power management options ---> <M> APM (Advanced Power Management) BIOS support

But there are six different options under that (see attachment). I have no idea which one(s) need to be enabled. Also, I can't find /dev/rtc at all. I found a website that suggested it was under General Setup, but it was an old website and I couldn't find it under General Setup.

If anyone has any idea how to set up the kernel to support apmsleep please respond.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I too would love to get Ubuntu 8.10 to auto wake up from sleep at a set time, my old Mac did and I'm told Windows is easy to setup also. There must be some linux software to set it surely.
    My bios has something called rtc alarm but nothing happens when I set it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

How about rtcwake, how does it work, I tried
    sudo rtcwake -s 20
    but it does not wake up ever.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast