Thread: Remote desktop server (with ssh?)

Beans

Remote desktop server (with ssh?)

I have a desktop (personal) that I'd like to set up a remote desktop connection into. I used to use XP Pro's remote desktop server, and I was wondering if there's anything like that for ubuntu.

I already have sshd installed, but that doesn't allow me to use graphical applications (e.g. pidgin) that are already running on the machine. Is there a way to have a secure remote desktop connection? I've heard bad things about VNC in that regard, and I'll be connecting mainly through an insecure wireless connection, so I would like a secure link.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Re: Remote desktop server (with ssh?)

Quote Originally Posted by whoobuntu_owl View Post
    I have a desktop (personal) that I'd like to set up a remote desktop connection into. I used to use XP Pro's remote desktop server, and I was wondering if there's anything like that for ubuntu.

I already have sshd installed, but that doesn't allow me to use graphical applications (e.g. pidgin) that are already running on the machine. Is there a way to have a secure remote desktop connection? I've heard bad things about VNC in that regard, and I'll be connecting mainly through an insecure wireless connection, so I would like a secure link.

Thanks!
    Have you tried Applications > Internet > Remote Desktop Viewer

You can set up the password for the server at System > Preferences > Remote Desktop.