Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Novel Writing Software for Linux - FOUND!

Beans
    Hidden!

Unhappy Re: Novel Writing Software for Linux - FOUND!

As to the last post, I'd been using Plume Creator myself. However, since the update to kernel 3.2.0-31 I've been unable to get it to run as well as having lost all data I'd worked on to date. Very upsetting. If anyone has an idea of how I can get it to run again I'd sure appreciate the info. In my years of writing it was a great program. Any advice/help appreciated!

Thanks,
    Jed

Beans

Re: Novel Writing Software for Linux - FOUND!

Jed, sorry to hear you can't run Plume Creator. Besides the Kernel version you've posted, what version of PC were you using? I just downloaded it, and its up to version 0.54 for the Debian package now, which they say is Alpha. (That had jumped from 0.47 in May when I had downloaded it last, and got it to run)

Have you tried saving your data file and removing the prior installation and then installing the latest?

I just installed it and can't get it to run. I'm double clicking the Plum Creator.desktop file that it installs under usr/share/applications I don't think it has anything to do with the Kernel

I'm going to stick to a program with a lot of users and installable from the Ubuntu Software Center.. or perhaps one that saves in a standard format that other applications can open. And make lots of backups

Beans

I am an author who is currently working on more than one book.

I want to mention a piece of software which is pricey, but it definitely works well on Linux (and as online application).

Personal Brain 7
    http://www.thebrain.com/products/thebrain/download/
    http://www.thebrain.com/store/

It's a mind-mapping/outlining tool which is good for note-taking and organizing. I now rely on it pretty heavily.

It's $300. They have a web version which is optional, but nice to have. They are trying to turn it into a web subscription, but the 7 client is awesome for what it does.

There are backup issues to deal with (basically brain create some system files, but if you have the web version, you always have a version you can download from the web.

It's full featured, and pretty powerful and mind-altering, plus there's a free version. Full version for 30 days.

I realize it's not what you wanted, but this is a good "thinking/brainstorming" tool for writers.

Beans

That is pricey, and it renews for another $159 per year after that, including 20GB of online storage and synchronization across multiple computers! It seems like a complete system, not necessarily novel writing software. I'd imagine that would come with tech support to get everything configured properly. Thanks for mentioning it.

Anyone else writing a book--if so, what do you suggest?

Beans

Libreoffice

Seriously, that and audacity for audio notes.

Beans

Quick answer to JedCurtis and MarkMDW :

This problem comes from running Plume for 32 bit system in a 64 bit system. If you are running Ubuntu or the like, please install the package ia32-libs.
    Or better, download the 64 bit version of Plume here.

Regards,
    Terreville
    Last edited by Terreville; November 30th, 2012 at 09:50 PM.

Beans

after my drafts are finalized I'm planning on putting that in LibreOffice for proper formatting. I'm actually trying to figure out how to set it up using a table of contents feature. That shouldn't be too difficult. I was hoping it has some soft of hyperlink function so that I can just clicking around on chapters in the table, then it takes each place without scrolling through everything.

I'm planning on checking out Plum Creator again. And, I was thinking there is supposed to be an updated version of SnowFlake Pro ($50) which is a nifty and stable novel outlining and development program that I've used with success. It one of the very few pieces of software that I've purchased.

Beans

markMDW,

Yes, there is a hyperlink feature for the table of content in Libreoffice. If you want a sample for that, I gave my personal template for novels in a previous post.
    If you want to go a step further, you can use a Master document. Each chapter is a .odt and all of them are displayed in one master document.
    And don't forget to use styles in LibreOffice as it's one of its great strenghts.

I'll see what Snowflake Pro is like. I am currently using StoryView 2, XMind and Plume (obviously).

Regards,
    Terreville

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you are using LibreOffice for writing a book, you may find the new book published by Jean Hollis Weber called "Self-Publishing using LibreOffice Writer:
    How to use free software to write, design, and create PDFs for print-on-demand books" http://www.taming-libreoffice.com/my-books/

The book is available as a $5.00 PDF download (no copy restriction) or from Lulu in paper form.Jean is a major cog in the production of LibreOffice / OpenOffice Manuals so has a great deal of experience in the subject.

Beans

I'm skimming over it now. It's very Nice and professional looking with an excellent hyperlinked table of contents and index, and 160 pages of how-to details, perfect for formatting your book just right, and much needed for anyone that hasn't mastered the LibreOffice tasks necessary to get into publishable form. I think I'll be sending in my $5 and reading it.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast