Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Novel Writing Software for Linux - FOUND!

Beans

Re: Novel Writing Software for Linux - FOUND!

I've been using Xfce's Notes plugin, but would like to try Tomboy or Zim for a future project.
    I've used Xfce's Notes as well, finding them handy when I first bootup, reminding me what to work on now that a new day has arrived. It's a nice feature that they pop up on the desktop, and easily collapse, infact, I just think of them as part of the Desktop. Both Zim and Tomboy do have many more functions, making them (together) feasible for conjuring up the story, outlining it, spell checking it, and arranging a draft print of the entire novel (without typesetting). Tomboy and Zim, along with Xfce Notes, Artha Thesaurus, and LibreOffice Spreadsheet links inside of ZIM, can serve as a Linux Destop writers production center. Then for submittal and or publication I suppose it would be off to using LaTeX / Scribus and or Callibre for eBook export and creation in ePub and Mobi formats (Nook, Kindle, dedicated eBook readers) ...I need to learn a little more about Scribus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by markMDW View Post
    I've used Xfce's Notes as well, finding them handy when I first bootup, reminding me what to work on now that a new day has arrived.
    Ditto for me.

Both Zim and Tomboy do have many more functions, making them (together) feasible for conjuring up the story, outlining it, spell checking it, and arranging a draft print of the entire novel (without typesetting).
    You've just convinced me to try these for sure. Scribus does not have a spellchecker, which isn't necessary for importing or copying text from elsewhere, but helpful for spontaneous changes!

....Then for submittal and or publication I suppose it would be off to using LaTeX / Scribus and or Callibre for eBook export and creation in ePub and Mobi formats (Nook, Kindle, dedicated eBook readers)
    Ah, I see. You are focusing on eBook and Mobi(?) I'm trying to go the traditional print route, for nonfiction nonetheless.

...I need to learn a little more about Scribus
    AFAIK, it's the only DTP for Linux (free). I find 1.4 a little quirky, but since there's no other choices..... (!) At least there are a lot of how-tos and tutorials for it out there. 1.5 is developmental, but it will create those PDF/X-1a:2001s.

For myself, I probably should look into LaTex.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans

You are focusing on eBook and Mobi(?)
    Yes, but I also want to have a print version available for the novel as well. I'm discovering that LyX can output to PDF and HTML, and Calibre can easily convert HTML to Mobi and ePub. At any rate, the first draft should be written as plainly as possible.

I'm guessing that Scribus would probably be more useful to someone who needs a lot of variation in the layout of their book, and wants to customize it exactly to their concept, WYSIWYG.

LaTeX would offer just the opposite approach, offering templates and classes that takes all the text and puts it in the "proper spot". The user just needs to know how to apply the markup text, properly defining the types of text (for example, a Chapter Title).

LyX has an excellent Help section with a Introduction, Tutorial, User Guide and other documents that are useful to someone after they get a grasp of exactly what LaTeX is, and hows it's different that a regular word processor. Starting out is much more difficult since its nothing like Libre Office, or Word, even though at first glance it looks like it might be as easy. LaTeX has full control of everything though, from the spacing between words, to paragraphs to the Table of Contents etc. And so I trying to type, and add several lines between their scene or chapter, since that's the way every other text editor and word processor works, would easily give up in frustration... unless they realize that this is a totally different concept in writing.

Is your project going to be creative nonfiction or something like a manual or textbook perhaps, with lots of different layouts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by markMDW View Post
    I'm guessing that Scribus would probably be more useful to someone who needs a lot of variation in the layout of their book, and wants to customize it exactly to their concept, WYSIWYG.
    Yes, Scribus is a desktop publisher, so its best use is after the writing is done. Text is imported for layout and design. I have found it to be quirky, with a steep learning curve. It's weakness so far is tables, so tables of content aren't that easy to do. There is a fairly good online manual, plus quite a few online tutorials, also a good user forum.

LaTeX would offer just the opposite approach, offering templates and classes that takes all the text and puts it in the "proper spot". The user just needs to know how to apply the markup text, properly defining the types of text (for example, a Chapter Title).

LyX has an excellent Help section with a Introduction, Tutorial, User Guide and other documents that are useful to someone after they get a grasp of exactly what LaTeX is, and hows it's different that a regular word processor. Starting out is much more difficult since its nothing like Libre Office, or Word, even though at first glance it looks like it might be as easy. LaTeX has full control of everything though, from the spacing between words, to paragraphs to the Table of Contents etc. And so I trying to type, and add several lines between their scene or chapter, since that's the way every other text editor and word processor works, would easily give up in frustration... unless they realize that this is a totally different concept in writing.
    Very interesting, thanks for the details, markMDW. Sounds like the learning curve would be worth it.

Is your project going to be creative nonfiction or something like a manual or textbook perhaps, with lots of different layouts?
    I'd say creative nonfiction but geared toward a niche audience. Lots of photographs and drawings, however, which is ultimately why I decided to go with print.

I've definitely appreciated this thread. I've learned quite a bit about the Linux resources available to writers.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans

Even for an all TEXT book, Scribus or another graphics program looks like the better approach to designing the front and back covers, that is if the writer wants anything other than TEXT, LINES or staple patterns that LaTeX could generate. Then the generated image could actually be used within LaTeX. A Table of Contents in LaTeX is the simple matter of placing the Table of Contents command within the book, where you want it to appear, and it parses out all the chapters, sections, subsections etc., and does that automatically, without the user having to format it at all... it puts everything EXACTLY where its supposed to go and doesn't let the writer mess it up

Your posts helped to revive this thread. When I started reading it, I subscribed to it, and since then have been posting updates. Thanks for sharing your book and project idea. Keep us updated on how well your software is working with it

Beans

Unfortunately I have noticed any development in Calligra Author over the last couple of years.

FocusWriter is definitly the best for writing your book.
    Last edited by markMDW; April 25th, 2014 at 05:00 PM. Reason: additional comment

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Have you looked at yWriter5 or Scrivener? There is a Linux installer to run it under Wine.

Beans

I've looked at yWriter5 and Scrivener, both impressive pieces of software. It looks like Calligra hasn't done much with Author in the last couple of years, that I can tell.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dixon Bainbridge View Post
    Scrivener is the best, unfortunately its OSX only.
    Not so. There's been a linux version out for years, that gets updated regularly, and is often packaged as a .deb for easier installation.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast