Thread: Update music score software?

Beans

Update music score software?

Are there any plans to package and update music score software?

1. MuseScore is promising, but it's hard to find and install on Ubuntu. Worse yet, the packaged version has major problems, and the latest version is not available. (See http://musescore.org/en/node/276 .) Are there plans to get this up to date?

2. Denomo looks nice, but it's also out of date on Ubuntu. A number of common features such as grace notes can only be entered from LilyPond, but the packaged version does not integrate with LilyPond. I'm not sure the Windows version works either (no icons on my computer, therefore unusable), but does anyone know the status of the package?

(Before you ask, NoteEdit looks good, but it crashed in the first 5 minutes of use, with loss of work.) Unacceptable.

Is there anything that's simple, fast, and works, for writing and editing written music from the keyboard?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Update music score software?

Have you installed the hardy-backports version of Denemo? It's a newer version than the main repository, and from what I hear, it's more stable.

Unfortunately that's about all the updates on the way. The version numbers in the Ubuntu package listing don't show any major changes on the way for Intrepid at the moment.

I personally find LilyPond to be the best notation editor, as you have ultimate control once you learn how to use the language efficiently.
    What makes a great open source contributor is not primarily the brilliance of their ideas or importance of their bug, but rather their willingness to see it through to success.

Beans

I have 0.7.5. Where do I find Hardy Backports? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

The hardy-backports repository can be enabled by going to System -> Administration -> Software Sources then in the Updates tab check the hardy-backports option. This will get you Denemo 0.7.7

edit: here's a quick quote from the Denemo website
    For Linux check your package-system for Denemo.
    Note the packages may be out of date since Denemo is growing quickly, and beware that versions prior to 0.7.7 are very buggy.
    What makes a great open source contributor is not primarily the brilliance of their ideas or importance of their bug, but rather their willingness to see it through to success.

Beans

Thanks. I checked Hardy backports, uninstalled and reinstalled Denemo, then unchecked backports (I don't want everything updating from there). I now have 0.7.7. I'll soon see how it works.

Beans

Check out NtEd, really nice, really fast

http://vsr.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de...ted/nted.xhtml