Thread: [SOLVED] SKYPE with PulseAudio

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

[SOLVED] SKYPE with PulseAudio

Since so many people are having such a hard time getting their skype to work, I finally installed it and true, it does not work out of the box but the solution is fairly simple.

This is for Hardy Heron 8.04 only!

If anyone has gotten Skype working with Pulseaudio in Intrepid 8.10 please make a post here explaining how you did it or post a link to the info. Or let me know if this works as is. If changes are needed for Intrepid will add something to this OP so others can find it. (I have been unable to get any version of Intrepid to even boot on my machine so I am unable to do any testing myself. Your help would be greatly appreciated.)

Thank you.

You can get the skype-static package from Mediabuntu (not the skype-static-oss package):

Edit your ~/.asoundrc file and add this to the end of the file:

Code:
    pcm.!default {
        type pulse
    }
    ctl.!default {
        type pulse
    }
    pcm.pulse {
        type pulse
    }

ctl.pulse {
        type pulse
    }
    Save the file, log out and log in. Start skype. Go to Options/Sound Devices and select the new pulse device. Open the PA Volume Control and see if skype shows up. If you cannot hear it or the mic is not working make sure you have the proper input and output devices selected as defaults in the PA Volume Control. You can make an /etc/asound.conf file and put these lines in it if you need to do this system wide.

If you find the sound stuttering and crackling etc on skype but other applications are OK, you can edit the /etc/pulse/daemon.conf file. At the end of the file are two lines like this:
    Code:
    ;default-fragments = 8
    ;default-fragment-size-msec = 5
    Change them to look like this :
    Code:
    default-fragments = 5
    default-fragment-size-msec = 25
    Save the file and restart Pulse Audio from terminal.

To kill pulseaudio:
    Code:
    killall pulseaudio
    To restart pulseaudio
    Code:
    pulseaudio -D
    That's it, enjoy.

I got the first part of it from the link below, the Mandriva folks figured it out a while ago I guess. The second part comes from psyke83.

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases...ith_PulseAudio

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4928900
    Last edited by markbuntu; March 24th, 2009 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Help request for Intrepid solution