Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] SKYPE with PulseAudio

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

[SOLVED] SKYPE with PulseAudio

Since so many people are having such a hard time getting their skype to work, I finally installed it and true, it does not work out of the box but the solution is fairly simple.

This is for Hardy Heron 8.04 only!

If anyone has gotten Skype working with Pulseaudio in Intrepid 8.10 please make a post here explaining how you did it or post a link to the info. Or let me know if this works as is. If changes are needed for Intrepid will add something to this OP so others can find it. (I have been unable to get any version of Intrepid to even boot on my machine so I am unable to do any testing myself. Your help would be greatly appreciated.)

Thank you.

You can get the skype-static package from Mediabuntu (not the skype-static-oss package):

Edit your ~/.asoundrc file and add this to the end of the file:

Code:
    pcm.!default {
        type pulse
    }
    ctl.!default {
        type pulse
    }
    pcm.pulse {
        type pulse
    }

ctl.pulse {
        type pulse
    }
    Save the file, log out and log in. Start skype. Go to Options/Sound Devices and select the new pulse device. Open the PA Volume Control and see if skype shows up. If you cannot hear it or the mic is not working make sure you have the proper input and output devices selected as defaults in the PA Volume Control. You can make an /etc/asound.conf file and put these lines in it if you need to do this system wide.

If you find the sound stuttering and crackling etc on skype but other applications are OK, you can edit the /etc/pulse/daemon.conf file. At the end of the file are two lines like this:
    Code:
    ;default-fragments = 8
    ;default-fragment-size-msec = 5
    Change them to look like this :
    Code:
    default-fragments = 5
    default-fragment-size-msec = 25
    Save the file and restart Pulse Audio from terminal.

To kill pulseaudio:
    Code:
    killall pulseaudio
    To restart pulseaudio
    Code:
    pulseaudio -D
    That's it, enjoy.

I got the first part of it from the link below, the Mandriva folks figured it out a while ago I guess. The second part comes from psyke83.

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases...ith_PulseAudio

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4928900
    Last edited by markbuntu; March 24th, 2009 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Help request for Intrepid solution

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] SKYPE with PulseAudio

Hello,

I've tried what you've posted and many other things as skype didn't seem to work properly....
    I found out now that the volume sound in skype is very low and that in fact my mic is working with skype but the sound is really low and really bad quality too (like if the internet connection was very bad or if I was feedling with the mic jack).
    When following your post, I don't actually get "pulse" to choose in skype. I guess I might have played around too much with the configuration files trying to solve the problem..... Does someone has a way to redo a clean install of all audio files/pachages and then have skype working well?
    Thanks a lot for any help...

Marie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Does this happen with other applications using your microphone of just with skype?

You can look in my guide here, which will help you to get back to your default settings, there is a Restore Default Settings Section in there somewhere:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=843012

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've followed the instructions here and on your other post where I added all the packages but still can't get the mic to work. Also, now I can't hear the Skype test sound either.

The Skype settings for Sound In, Sound Out & Ringing are all pulse. There are 6 other choices available in the drop downs. All begin M Audio Revolution 5.1 then are followed by (hw:Revolution51,0), (plughw:Revolution51,0), (hw:Revolution51,1), (plughw:Revolution51,1), (hw:Revolution51,2), (plughw:Revolution51,2). Sound can't be heard and the mic doesn't work using any of these settings.

In Volume Control the Device is 0: M Audio Revolution-5.1 (Alsa mixer)

The Playback tab has PCM, Line Loopback, CD Loopback & Mic Loopback none of which are muted.

The Recording tab has PCM Capture which isn't muted

Open the PA Volume Control and see if skype shows up.
    Is that the Volume Control I just referred to? Skype doesn't appear there.

If you cannot hear it or the mic is not working make sure you have the proper input and output devices selected as defaults in the PA Volume Control.
    In Sound Preferences I Have PulseAudio Sound Server selected for all 4 choices at the top with the Default Mixer Tracks Device being M Audio Revolution-5.1(Alsa mixer)

You can make an /etc/asound.conf file and put these lines in it if you need to do this system wide.
    Which lines? How?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

You need a mic capture to get mic input to work. In the volume control on the panel choose Open Volume Control/Edit/Preferences and turn on microphone, microphone boost, mic capture and mic boost capture. I am not familiar with the Revolution cards so you may not have all of these but turn on the ones you do. They should then appear in the Volume Control/Recording and you can turn them on and adjust the volumes. The mic should now work. You may have to logout and login or reboot for this to take effect.

Make sure you have also selected the Revolution for the default in the Input and Output Devices section of the Pulse Audio Volume Control.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Open Volume Control/Edit/Preferences and turn on microphone, microphone boost, mic capture and mic boost capture.
    I don't have any of those options. Here's a screenshot of what's available and turned on. EDIT: image no longer available, sorry.

Make sure you have also selected the Revolution for the default in the Input and Output Devices section of the Pulse Audio Volume Control.
    Should there be a menu choice for Pulse Audio Volume Control? The closest I see is PulseAudio Preferences but there are no volume options there.
    Last edited by kuproverto; October 20th, 2008 at 11:32 PM. Reason: screenshot image no longer available

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Volume Control> option, is there mic or front mic?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by kuproverto View Post
    I don't have any of those options....

Should there be a menu choice for Pulse Audio Volume Control? The closest I see is PulseAudio Preferences but there are no volume options there.
    Can you hear your mic at all, anywhere, with any application?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Volume Control> option, is there mic or front mic?
    On the Options tab of Volume Control there is Capture Channel. It has 3 options in the drop down, Mic, Line and CD. Mic is selected.

Can you hear your mic at all, anywhere, with any application?
    I guess the only app I can test it with is Sound Recorder and, no, I can't record using the mic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Then this problem, while related to getting skype working, is not really a skype problem, it is more basic than that. Once you figure out your mic, skype will probably work fine. Once you do get the mic working, if you are still having problems with skype, come back here and I will try to help you.

Have you tried a google search for your specific sound card, maybe you can find some tips to getting the mic working.

Let me know what you find out, I am curious...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast