Thread: I need to add a NIC driver to a netinst CD... also help me find the driver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I need to add a NIC driver to a netinst CD... also help me find the driver

I got this old computer (NEC ready-series 9935) for use as a server, and the netinst CD doesn't detect the ethernet card. It's a D-link DE220p (found out by opening the case, as the card didn't ship with the machine.) I could just go ahead and install a minimal system, but then I still wouldn't have the ethernet drivers, and I wouldn't be able to use it as a server.

The only drivers I can find for this are either for Windows or SCO Openserver 5. Supposedly it's usable with the "ne2000" driver, but once again, I can't find the drivers.

Where could I get the drivers, and how could I add it to the netinst ISO?
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: I need to add a NIC driver to a netinst CD... also help me find the driver

that is a VERY OLD nic, I would simply get a newer one....

Beans
    Distro

I'd like to avoid investing money in this (got the computer for free.) However, if there's a "tried and true" NIC model I could get used and on the cheap, I'd be willing to go for it.

I suppose I'm lucky the motherboard doesn't have ISA slots.
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans
    Hidden!

Are you sure it doesnt have ISA slots? I thought the DE220p was an ISA card.

If you want, PM me to discuss cheap network cards.

Beans
    Distro

It says "PCI" on the motherboard...
    -Thomas Paine

Beans
    Hidden!

what color is the slot the card is plugged into? pci slots were usually white-ish and ISA was black-ish

How do you know it isnt detected? Are you getting any errors?

A good pci NIC shouldn't run more than 8bucks or so.

Beans
    Distro

I found a $6 model (with $7 shipping, d'oh.)

I just checked, the NIC is indeed on an ISA slot (bigger than PCI, right?) but there are two available PCI slots as well. There's also an AGP, surprisingly. With a Voodoo 3dfx GPU in it!
    Last edited by MaxIBoy; October 7th, 2008 at 04:16 AM.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by MaxIBoy View Post
    I found a $6 model (with $7 shipping, d'oh.)
    I would think you could find one for less. Maybe a used comptuer shop in your area.

I haven't used these in while but the network cards I always used are:
    1)compaq branded card with intel chipset with a part numbers of NC3121 (make sure it has the big square intel chip on it)
    2)3com 3c905c or 3c905b
    3)Dlink DFE-530 REV D2

I just checked, the NIC is indeed on an ISA slot (bigger than PCI, right?) but there are two available PCI slots as well.
    lucky there are pci slots!

Quote Originally Posted by MaxIBoy View Post
    There's also an AGP, surprisingly. With a Voodoo 3dfx GPU in it!
    I wonder how much memory it has? Probably not enough to do anything except 640x480 or something. Probably wont matter for a server though.

Beans
    Distro

Well, this was a media center PC in its time. 128 MB RAM, Pentium II, 9.5 GB hard drive, AGP Voodoo 3dfx. A puppylinux CD actually got 1024 by 768 out of it, if memory serves.
    -Thomas Paine