Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: GIMP 2.6 released!

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: GIMP 2.6 released!

Quote Originally Posted by CarpKing View Post
    Try turning Desktop Effects off. Last I tried Compiz didn't support the "Utility" window hint. If you notice, there's a note near the bottom of the release notes saying that it is only known to work under Gnome, by which they probably mean Metacity.
    According to this thread, it might be fixed in upcoming versions of Compiz. At least I understood that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I didn't understand how to have just one window.. is it really possible ?
    Edit : well, ok, we just can't.

Nice new version btw !
    Last edited by Hells_Dark; October 2nd, 2008 at 07:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Sorry, kind of a noob here. Im trying to install Gimp 2.6.0. I downloaded the "gimp_2.6.0-1~getdeb1_i386.deb" for ubuntu 8.04. When i run the package installer I get "Error: dependency is not satisfiable: gimp-data". Any advice?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bou View Post
    According to this thread, it might be fixed in upcoming versions of Compiz. At least I understood that.
    Indeed it is.

I didn't understand how to have just one window.. is it really possible ?
    This sort of functionality really needs to be considered in GTK... QT has it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by WindowsSucks View Post
    This sort of functionality really needs to be considered in GTK... QT has it.
    GTK has it, look at Inkscape. It is just the choice of the GIMP developers that the interface is the way it is.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by smartboyathome View Post
    GTK has it, look at Inkscape. It is just the choice of the GIMP developers that the interface is the way it is.
    You're confusing docking with subwindows, of course you can slap an interface into one window in GTK... (also, GTK itself does not have a docking system)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by mooney79 View Post
    Sorry, kind of a noob here. Im trying to install Gimp 2.6.0. I downloaded the "gimp_2.6.0-1~getdeb1_i386.deb" for ubuntu 8.04. When i run the package installer I get "Error: dependency is not satisfiable: gimp-data". Any advice?
    You need to feed it the package gimp-data (and in fact a few other packages) first. Normally the package manager handles these dependencies automatically by grabbing the required packages from the repos. Since you're installing this manually you need to sort the dependencies yourself.

Grab all the packages under Gimp 2.6 in GetDeb. Install the libraries like GEGL first, working your way up to Gimp itself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by WindowsSucks View Post
    if you're running Metacity (or Compiz from git as of this morning), the toolbox, etc. will float above the main window, and the main window will size the image to better fit this set up.
    Awesome! Any chance you could get the Ubuntu devs to pull whatever Compiz patches that takes into Intrepid?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TreverT View Post
    Any idea when/if the new version will turn up in the software repositories backported to Gutsy? I still haven't had the time/weeks to waste chasing problems to upgrade to Hardy, but I use Gimp all the time and the new versions sounds fantastic. I tried manually installing the version listed on that GetDeb page but even after DLing all the parts, it still fussed that there were dependencies missing and after wasting a half hour mucking with it, I gave it up. Would love to be able to get the new version via the nice simple "Add/Remove" if it's ever going to be included... any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by mooney79 View Post
    You just need to install these in the proper order. Download all the .deb packages, and install in the following order:
    libbabl
    libgegl
    libgimp
    gimp
    gimp-python
    gimp-gnomevfs
    gimp-libcurl
    gimp-data
    Last edited by Kaseas; October 2nd, 2008 at 11:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Just Figured id post this here, in the 2.5.x dev series you could make the dialogs and toolbox transient to the picture window, they removed the option in the preferences dialog, but the functionality is still there, so if you run this command and restart gimp 2.6.0 then it should work
    Code:
    echo "(transient-docks yes)" >> ~/.gimp-2.6/gimprc
    Jeremy Clarkson - "A Dazzling Hero of Political Incorrectness"
    My LastFM profile
    want to Give each GTK program its own theme? well look Here

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast