Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: GIMP 2.6 release on FTP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: GIMP 2.6 release on FTP

It's a matter of choice, obviously, but I installed 2.6 using the six .deb files from getdeb, and after playing with it for a while I uninstalled it and went back to the older version.

I didn't find anything new in 2.6 that I really wanted, and there were a few bugs - on my machine, at least. For instance, F11 displayed full-screen but with the toolbox and other windows on top of the image, which isn't much use. I tried GEGL but it was very slow.

Your experience may be different, but I wouldn't rush to upgrade to 2.6 right now.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticise them, you're a mile away and have their shoes.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dmn_clown View Post
    Please do not manually install anything in /usr unless you want the hassle of conflicting versions of libs when babl and gegl enter main. There is no guarantee that the packaged version of the libs will overwrite your manually installed versions.

/usr/local or /opt will both work equally well and make it easier on yourself as long as those paths are included in ld.so.conf and you remember to run ldconfig after your make install.
    Well if your manually compiling it you shouldn't be using any packages, using /usr as the natural path. This is why I said remove your GIMP-2.4.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Left View Post
    Well if your manually compiling it you shouldn't be using any packages, using /usr as the natural path. This is why I said remove your GIMP-2.4.
    You are misunderstanding me, let me rephrase it:

When you dist-upgrade your system to the next release that includes a packaged version of babl and gegl there is no guarantee that they will be overwritten when you install the packaged versions.

That is why /usr/local or /opt is a much better place to manually install software.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dmn_clown View Post
    You are misunderstanding me, let me rephrase it:

When you dist-upgrade your system to the next release that includes a packaged version of babl and gegl there is no guarantee that they will be overwritten when you install the packaged versions.

That is why /usr/local or /opt is a much better place to manually install software.
    I dont undnerstand how you think they wont be overwritten, they are in the same prefix with the same files, just like a update overwrites files in the same place to the new version.

So unless Ubuntu decides to move prefixes, it's not a issue. If you leave GIMP package installed and compile to the same prefix and then remove the GIMP package, guess what happens?, yes it removes the one you compile just like it would do a package.
    Last edited by Half-Left; October 5th, 2008 at 12:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I dont undnerstand how you think they wont be overwritten, they are in the same prefix with the same files, just like a update overwrites files in the same place to the new version.

So unless Ubuntu decides to move prefixes, it's not a issue. If you leave GIMP package installed and compile to the same prefix and then remove the GIMP package, guess what happens?, yes it removes the one you compile just like it would do a package.
    On the other hand, you can do what I do, which is a good practice anyway. Whenever I install anything from source, whether there are packaged versions available or not, I place the source code in /home/steve/src/ and I leave it there.

Then, if ever I need to remove software I have installed manually, all it takes is to cd to /home/steve/src/program-name and "sudo make uninstall"

This works with just about anything. While you're correct about packages overwriting, there are always the odd exceptions, and keeping the source, or at least the config files around will let you fully uninstall, and prevent any errors.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb View Post
    On the other hand, you can do what I do, which is a good practice anyway. Whenever I install anything from source, whether there are packaged versions available or not, I place the source code in /home/steve/src/ and I leave it there.

Then, if ever I need to remove software I have installed manually, all it takes is to cd to /home/steve/src/program-name and "sudo make uninstall"

This works with just about anything. While you're correct about packages overwriting, there are always the odd exceptions, and keeping the source, or at least the config files around will let you fully uninstall, and prevent any errors.
    Well yes, I personally have a directory for my source tarballs, but in the end we are talking about just GIMP here, not loads of compiling.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Well yes, I personally have a directory for my source tarballs, but in the end we are talking about just GIMP here, not loads of compiling.

Slippery slope........

Right now it's just gimp, but compiling from source to get the latest and greatest tends to become a habit, and good housekeeping habits now will mean an easier life later.

Beans

Is updating to 2.6 from 2.4.5 using synaptic or apt-get going to be an option sometime in the future? I don't really want to try doing things I don't fully understand only to end up doing it wrong and having trouble later.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Very nice, but Gimp won't stay in one window for me.

://
    Quote Originally Posted by WindowsSucks View Post
    You're still going to have three windows because nothing really handles the windows perfectly as sub-windows, but if you're running Metacity (or Compiz from git as of this morning), the toolbox, etc. will float above the main window, and the main window will size the image to better fit this set up.
    So I need compiz to make gimp one window? WTF!
    Know: HTML, CSS | Learning: PHP, jQuery, Java
    twitter | PbGunTrader.com -The paintball B/S/T (Buy, Sell, Trade) | Quality Hosting
    -Feel free to PM me!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The debs from getdeb have a bug, i have installed them in Xubuntu and all went ok, however i cannot open png, tiff and other formats that i used to open. My guess is that the package gimp-data, was not correctly built with all options.

Anyone with 2.6.0 can open Png's and Tiff's, or is just me?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast