Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Never have successfully installed Gentoo

Beans

Re: Never have successfully installed Gentoo

I've done two successful installs, on both I used Sysrescd(http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page) and a funtoo stage3 tarball(the funtoo.org tarballs are compiled for more architectures.)
    It takes a long time to get a fully operational system, but you're proud when you're done.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I am currently installing a Gentoo system in Virtualbox. I have no doubt that I'll be successful. I'm using a miminal CD and stage3 tarball. I am cheating though and using a default kernel (made with genkernel). I've NEVER been successful at compiling my own kernel without borrowing an existing kernel config.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Soldierboy View Post
    I am currently installing a Gentoo system in Virtualbox. I have no doubt that I'll be successful. I'm using a miminal CD and stage3 tarball. I am cheating though and using a default kernel (made with genkernel). I've NEVER been successful at compiling my own kernel without borrowing an existing kernel config.
    Good idea. It is what I did initially and for my laptop and PC. Unfortunately, they boot considerably slower using genkernel(initrd) instead of using a single image/file. Additionally, i cannot get dmraid to work using the non-genkernel method.
    Is this for enhancing your E-peen?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12