Page 55 of 132 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast

Thread: October 2008 Screenshot Thread

Beans

Re: October 2008 Screenshot Thread

Compiz is more then possible in xfce, i'm using it right now =)

edit: forgot to hit quote button.... towards Sponzenbroekske
    Arch Linux: Self Built Computer
    DP965LT Mother Board W/ Intel Core 2 Duo W/ 2 Gigs Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT
    400 Gig Hard Drive

Beans

Yeah compiz and xfce4 are fine together. The only shortcoming is, at the moment, there's no, "window decorator", mode for xfwm4, meaning you need to install emerald as well.

Edit: Should also point out that Xfwm4 supports xcompmgr for much simpler, non-accelerated compositing support. I've got compiz and xcompmgr and I just use xcompmgr.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    I'm blaming you for my current -box interest, by the way. Excellent desktop.
    thanks. i'd be delighted to take the blame. i try lots of other things, but i always end up back with openbox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by What is in a name? View Post
    Now, I wonder... If I remove the gnome-icon-theme from the inherits line of Eikon's index.theme file, and reduce it to "Tango,hicolor", will we still have that problem, even if we don't delete the inode-directory icons?
    I think that as long as inode-directory icons are installed, there will be many regressions with any icon set (since everything will eventually inherit from gnome). I already submitted a bug to Ubuntu and commented on the bugzilla version, but no one has done anything about it. Anyway, here's a slightly more complete workaround than the one Ub1476 posted:

#This part removes the problem (useless) icons.
    sudo rm -f /usr/share/icons/gnome/scalable/places/inode-directory.svg
    sudo rm -f /usr/share/icons/gnome/32x32/places/inode-directory.png
    sudo rm -f /usr/share/icons/gnome/24x24/places/inode-directory.png
    sudo rm -f /usr/share/icons/gnome/22x22/places/inode-directory.png
    sudo rm -f /usr/share/icons/gnome/16x16/places/inode-directory.png

#Log out. If for some reason the icons appear as blank after logging out, rebuild gnome-icon-theme's icon cache:
    sudo rm -f /usr/share/icons/gnome/icon-theme.cache
    sudo gtk-update-icon-cache -qf /usr/share/icons/gnome

Beans

Going through a whole new diretion than I usually do. Just need this emerad and gtk to base mine off of but he doesn't seem to respond.

http://skitzware.deviantart.com/art/umm-100521242

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Opeth115 View Post

Ah that changes everything
    I use emerald now too so that aint a problem

So xfce is definitly an my 'to try list'

Is it possible on a BSD-variant?
    ASUS F8P
    C2D T8100 3GB ram
    Radeon HD2400 256MB fixed up to 1534MB shared
    Ubuntu 8.10 64bit eyecandied to the bone, 8.04 32bit Vista home premium

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

A friend of mine is using Intrepid Beta and is experiencing this same issue with Eikon2. The folder icons at the Places menu revert to a very ugly default. Does anybody know if GNOME 2.24 messed around with the names of the icons again? If so, what in the world are the folders icons supposed to be called now?
    I made symbolic links to the folder.png/folder.svg files in the theme called gtk-directory.svg and inode-directory.svg (new names for those). That solved it for me.

Commands:
    Code:
    ln -s ~/.icons/[themename]/scalable/folders.svg ~/.icons/[themename]/scalable/gtk-directory.svg
    ln -s ~/.icons/[themename]/scalable/folders.svg ~/.icons/[themename]/scalable/inode-directory.svg
    Last edited by lswest; October 14th, 2008 at 06:25 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lswest View Post
    I made symbolic links to the folder.png/folder.svg files in the theme called gtk-directory.svg and inode-directory.svg (new names for those). That solved it for me.

Commands:
    Code:
    ln -s ~/.icons/[themename]/scalable/folders.svg ~/.icons/[themename]/scalable/gtk-directory.svg
    ln -s ~/.icons/[themename]/scalable/folders.svg ~/.icons/[themename]/scalable/inode-directory.svg
    Yes, I thought of doing that too. Still, Perfectska04 mentioned on that specific thread about that subject that the inode-directory icon has the tendency of overriding any other folder icon, in situations where folder-open or directory-visiting-whatever would be used instead. Do you have the same issue now with those links?

I'm still on Hardy, and won't upgrade to Intrepid until it reaches the RC stage, at least, so I can't test any of this myself, but I'm worried about this.
    In the midst of silence, the greatest temptation is to speak.
    All the Eikon2 icon theme updates (and other personal theme mods and whatnot) at http://drop.io/fmrbpensador

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Opeth115 View Post

...And on my specific case, Compiz is a lot more possible in Xfce than in GNOME, in fact. Still, I stick with Xfwm4 with some mild compositor effects. Good enough for me.

Like this:

Still I'm not totally satisfied with the tasklist. And considering I didn't even add Conky back to the desktop, I reckon I'm about to faint with claustrophobia.
    Sort of.
    Last edited by What is in a name?; October 14th, 2008 at 06:46 PM.
    In the midst of silence, the greatest temptation is to speak.
    All the Eikon2 icon theme updates (and other personal theme mods and whatnot) at http://drop.io/fmrbpensador

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Yes, I thought of doing that too. Still, Perfectska04 mentioned on that specific thread about that subject that the inode-directory icon has the tendency of overriding any other folder icon, in situations where folder-open or directory-visiting-whatever would be used instead. Do you have the same issue now with those links?

I'm still on Hardy, and won't upgrade to Intrepid until it reaches the RC stage, at least, so I can't test any of this myself, but I'm worried about this.
    Yes, if you just add inode-directory to your themes it will fix the folders in the places menu, but it will break many, many things. Besides that does not solve the issue since we can't force every icon theme on the internet to add that ugly workaround just to conform to this bug.

I recommend anyone who can to visit the bug pages and let them know this is important to you and should be fixed:
    http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=539286
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...me/+bug/278033

/offtopic

Page 55 of 132 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast