Thread: Proposed InstallFest Flier

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Proposed InstallFest Flier

This is the beginnings of a proposed InstallFest flier. This will obviously need some modification to enable me to put addresses/locations into the flier (this can be accomplished by reducing the font size on the right hand side). The original is in ODF format (OpenOffice.org Writer). If anyone wants the original to play with, please PM me in IRC, and give me your email address.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Proposed InstallFest Flier

looks good Tyche
    the only thing that stood out for me is
    SECURITY:
    The paragraph below don't really address security. maybe "efficiency" would be better there or more about security
    its funny i dont even think about security because its a non issue for most linux users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by sintacto View Post
    looks good Tyche
    the only thing that stood out for me is
    SECURITY:
    The paragraph below don't really address security. maybe "efficiency" would be better there or more about security
    its funny i dont even think about security because its a non issue for most linux users.
    You've got a point. I stole heavily from a previous flier we used, (and from the Intrepid features for the left hand side). When I get enough feedback to warrant making changes, or when time gets short, I'll change it. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I know the "who" - but where and when (well, what time on Nov. 15, 2008)?

I like the icon balancing you've done with the top and bottom corners.

I think Install Fest should be much bigger. Lots of information there, but your eye gets lost and the logos are really the anchors... when you need the eye to flow from the AZ LoCo logo to "InstallFest" so that people are attracted to it informed of the "what."

I don't know if the "What's New" really hooks anyway. That's something that might be a hook to something that, say, had Edgy Eft installed and is thinking about going back. But is that group the focus? Is the flyer meant to bring in new people? Is it meant to bring in someone that's tired of Vista and wants to get help setting up Ubuntu? I'm not sure this appeals to the people you're hoping to draw in.

I don't mean to be totally negative. I think the content is good, the layout is solid, but some of the above adjustments might help attract the desired people.

lenards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by lenards View Post
    I know the "who" - but where and when (well, what time on Nov. 15, 2008)?

I like the icon balancing you've done with the top and bottom corners.

I think Install Fest should be much bigger. Lots of information there, but your eye gets lost and the logos are really the anchors... when you need the eye to flow from the AZ LoCo logo to "InstallFest" so that people are attracted to it informed of the "what."

I don't know if the "What's New" really hooks anyway. That's something that might be a hook to something that, say, had Edgy Eft installed and is thinking about going back. But is that group the focus? Is the flyer meant to bring in new people? Is it meant to bring in someone that's tired of Vista and wants to get help setting up Ubuntu? I'm not sure this appeals to the people you're hoping to draw in.

I don't mean to be totally negative. I think the content is good, the layout is solid, but some of the above adjustments might help attract the desired people.

lenards
    You're not being negative. One point - the left hand side is pretty much for people who might become interested in upgrading to Intrepid Ibex. The right hand side gives the reasons that someone might want to change from that "other OS" to Ubuntu. So we're actually reaching out to both.

Yes, InstallFest can be increased in size. That, along with the location would be done at one shot, since I'd be stealing the space from the font size of the text on the right hand side.

I'll keep your suggestions in mind, and see about coming up with a revision in a couple of days. Thanks.

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Looks great... can I borrow your flier for my loco events? If possible can you send me the file in an editable format so I can put the NY-Loco team stuff on there... I would of course give you acknowledgement.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by PrivateVoid View Post
    Looks great... can I borrow your flier for my loco events? If possible can you send me the file in an editable format so I can put the NY-Loco team stuff on there... I would of course give you acknowledgement.
    YES! If you want the OO.o that it's made from, pleas email me, or meet me in IRC #ubuntu-us-az, where we can pm so I can get your address.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Proposed InstallFest Flier - REVISED

Attached is a revised proposed installfest flier.
    Attached Images Attached Images