Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu needs more bloat...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ubuntu needs more bloat...

Everyone knows that Vista is very bloated compared to Ubuntu, but I never realized it was this lightweight until I did a quick experiment...

Just to see what would happen, I opened up every single application in my "Applications" menu and the screenshot shows what I got resource wise.

Now, Vista usually idles at about 1.3GB of RAM and 3-4% CPU. The CPU idling is way more, but, then again, it is working to keep dozens of windows open (as you can see in the taskbar). Also, everything still moves just as fast. There is no noticeable lag even with everything running at once!

Now, to be fair, I don't have advanced desktop settings (I might add that later) and I didn't open anything from "System" except for the System Monitor, but even then I doubt I would breach 1.2GB, which would still be less RAM than Vista.

We better bloat Ubuntu up a bit. If it can run this many applications without my RAM even starting to run out, there is a problem. I would be long out of RAM in Vista if I tried to run everything at once, but Ubuntu is taking this in stride. It just isn't natural!

Think of the future. Imagine running something like this on a computer with 16GB of RAM or 32GB. At this rate, Ubuntu would still only take up 2-3 GB by then, maybe less. All that RAM would just go to waste. This computer has one stick of 2GB RAM and one of 1GB. That poor 1GB stick probably doesn't even have anything on it right now. It must feel so left out...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Laptop: Gateway T-6330u, 2.0 GHz Pentium Dual-Core, 3 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD - Ubuntu 14.04
    My Desktop: Lenovo IdeaCentre K450, 3.2 GHz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 2.5 TB HDD - Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 in VM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Ubuntu needs more bloat...

You, sir, are quite funny.

There's a better way to eat up RAM.

1. Open up Firefox.
    2. Open up every website on the Internet in a new tab.
    Acer Aspire 5050-5554 w/ 4GB RAM upgrade. Ubuntu Aug 07 - Dec 08; Arch Linux Dec 08 - July 2011; Ubuntu again since July 2011.
    "Triclops": Home-built AMD Athlon II X2 250, 4GB RAM, Radeon 6570, 500GB HDD. Ubuntu/Windows-XP duo since Jun 2010.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aaaantoine View Post

1. Open up Firefox.
    I would support this initiative O.O

lol
    Registered Ubuntu user #28880

Beans

1. Open up Firefox.

That is true!

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by chessnerd View Post
    Now, Vista usually idles at about 1.3GB of RAM
    It's called cache.

Right now, Kubuntu is using 4.7 GB of my RAM. Technically speaking, 3.1 GB of that is cache.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by -grubby View Post
    It's called cache.

Right now, Kubuntu is using 4.7 GB of my RAM. Technically speaking, 3.1 GB of that is cache.
    What do you have running that requires 1.6 GB of RAM and in cache that requires 3.1 GB?
    My Laptop: Gateway T-6330u, 2.0 GHz Pentium Dual-Core, 3 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD - Ubuntu 14.04
    My Desktop: Lenovo IdeaCentre K450, 3.2 GHz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 2.5 TB HDD - Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 in VM

Beans

Haha, people doing "scientific" benchmarks using gnome system monitor, and glxgears - it never ceases to amaze me. Dont take this personally chessnerd
    Until ars technica does an in depth comparison i don't usually belive anything i hear.
    - "though It seems that I know that I know, what I would like to see Is the I that sees me, when I know that I know that I know" / Alan Watts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by pelle.k View Post
    Haha, people doing "scientific" benchmarks using gnome system monitor, and glxgears - they never stop surprising me. Dont take this personally chessnerd
    Until ars technica does an in depth comparison i don't usually belive anything i hear.
    I wouldn't expect to find this experiment in Linux Monthly (does that exist?) or anything. It wasn't meant to be scientific or a benchmark or even really a comparison, it was more of a: I wonder what would happen if I ran everything at one time... and I just put a conclusion to it. This was more of a joke (as you can tell by the title).

Currently, after everything was closed, my system is running at 435MB with only Opera running and 38% of my RAM is being used as cache (probably because I ran all of those programs...). I could immediately point out that Windows runs way higher than that with only Opera, but I understand that it isn't fair to compare. The System Monitor and Task Manager are not the same thing, don't work the same way, and, therefore, cannot be used to benchmark accurately. I don't take it personally.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

While it's not a scientific benckmark it shows that Ubuntu manages memory well.

What you could do is to open the same applications on both OSs, one I can think of right now is Blender, it is memory-intensive and there are versions both for Windows and for Linux.

Right now Ubuntu is using 490Mb of my 2Gb RAM, I'm running only FF 3.5 with Compiz, AWN and Conky in the background.
    Ubuntu User #27453 | Linux User #490358
    "Don't preach Linux, mention it"
    "Linux is not Windows"
    73% of statistics in forums are made up on the spot

Beans

1. Open up Firefox.

so funny- last night I noticed my compiz effects were all slow and choppy. Later, I realized my wife had 4 or 5 Firefox windows open, each with 4 or 5 tabs open, most of them with flash content. yay.

BM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast