View Poll Results: Do you want Intrepid to change Ubuntu's GNOME main theme?

Voters
363. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I prefer a redesigned Ubuntu

269 74.10%
  • Yes, I will prefer a Ubuntu desktop that looks more like Windows

9 2.48%
  • Nah, I like brown Human

85 23.42%
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950

Thread: Wallpaper and theme complaint megathread

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Wallpaper and theme complaint megathread

I have Kubuntu installed on one of my laptops and Ubuntu on the other laptop. This is the first time I have run a KDE-based distro on my primary laptop. To my eyes, Kubuntu is more aesthetically pleasing out of the box and it seems that I have more control for fine-tuning the look and feel.

The latest Ubuntu is definitely an improvement and looks better than previous versions. However, Gnome is still lacking in the graphics department. I have been trying to get one of my friends to install Ubuntu. A while ago she installed Intrepid in VMware to test out on her Vista machine. Her comment was, "It looks kinda like Windows 95". I definitely disagree with that, and if new themes are added and Desktop Effects are running, there is no comparison.

However, the default look is rather flat and boring, especially after fresh install. The flat grey task bars that run across the top and bottom could be improved. The default windows decoration looks pixelated at the rounded corners and I don't think the shade of orange chosen looks that great (especially when combined with the light grey). It does look kind of drab and not slick as do the other flat grey empty areas in windows.

I don't really care, because I have spent time on gnome-look and found themes I like and can make it look very good by choosing some non-default themes (although there are still some annoying issues with very dark themes). There are some things I like better about Kubuntu and things I like better in Ubuntu, I use both.

I do agree that there is a lot of room for improvement in the aesthetics department (is this an issue with Gnome and the tools it provides for theming?) so that there is more wow-factor and a more slick look and feel that greets first-time users. Aesthetics and first impressions should not be underestimated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by joey-elijah View Post
    S U B J E C T I V E

I was wowed by 'Dust' hence why i'm still using it. Just because you haven't found something you like doesn't mean what's available or around is lacking 'clout'.

You're quite right it is completely subjective. However, I'm not exactly blind. This is the 12th or so page of wallpaper and theme complaints. I like the dust theme, it's nice. It isn't beautiful but it's nice. If I could have the kind of graphical wizardry of mac or even vista, I would jump at it for Linux. It just cannot compete right now. As I said dust is nice but it isn't aqua or aero.

Beans

From the Ubuntu 9.10 announcement:

The desktop will have a designer’s fingerprints all over it - we’re now beginning the serious push to a new look. Brown has served us well but the Koala is considering other options. Come to UDS for a preview of the whole new look.

UDS in Barcelona, 25-29 May
    UDS link.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by graabein View Post
    Starts today! Damn, I really wish I could go.

Beans

I've heard little of Karmic's default theme. Anyone got some news on that? How does the current beta look?

Edit: Here's a pretty new link on community themes.

I like the new icon sets Humanity and Breathe. Better looking than Human Tango IMO. The themes Impression, Hanso and Turrican also look pretty good but I'm afraid community themes are not "complete". The new default for Karmic have to be better than 9.04. I personally use Sun's Nimbus theme with Mac fonts Lucida Grande and MACGrande. Yeah, it would be nice to see more effort put into fonts on GNU/Linux...
    Last edited by graabein; September 12th, 2009 at 02:52 PM.

Beans

Nothing really new yet, wallpaper is still jaunty's, human only suffered minor changes so far, karmic is still to show its artwork.

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950